Is Pharm School 4 years of chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ConfusedTear

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering is pharmacy school really 3 to 4 years of intensive chemistry. I mean I am way better in organic than I was in gen chem, maybe because its more reading and understanding in orgo instead of just equation after equation, math, math, math. But is it really just several years of advanced chem or what does it consist of?
 
I was wondering is pharmacy school really 3 to 4 years of intensive chemistry. I mean I am way better in organic than I was in gen chem, maybe because its more reading and understanding in orgo instead of just equation after equation, math, math, math. But is it really just several years of advanced chem or what does it consist of?

You should go online and look at the curriculum for the school you want to attend. Courses are outlined very meticulously in that section (though the class names might be different from school to school ie biochem might be called "clinical biochem" or "biochem of medicinals" or "cellular sciences" in different school...)

In short regarding what you'll be learning:
-No it's not entirely about chemistry for the whole 3-4 years. If you go to a 4 years program, the first 3 years are for classes when you learn mostly theoretical aspects of pharmacy and the last year is devoted to rotation when you are put out in the field.
-A strong organic chemsitry foundation will benefit you a lot as usually in second year (or even first year at some schools), you have to take Medicinal Chemistry. This med chem is not like undergrad medchem, it focuses on funtional group analysis and requires a tremendously thorough understanding of o-chem to figure out metabolism, drug interxn, IUPAC nomenclatures of drugs (the names tell you about the structure) etc. Ex: when you look at the structure of Retin-A (the acne drug), you should be able to see that it has Conjugation (you learn about this in ochem) and THUS is sensitive to light (you learn about pi-system in ochem)--> so you should counsel the patient to wear sunscreen when taking this drug.
-A strong foundation in calculation is also crucial. You will have to learn pharmaceutical calculations: moles, mEq, mOsm, dosing, IV drips,... and some of them use math in gen chem. Pharmacokinetics (study of how fast/slow and rate/thermodynamics of drug metabolism) uses a lot of equations/calculation also.
-Gen chem is important as you will learn pharmaceutics (study of dosage form of drugs) and will need to know about solubility (as in solution drugs), dissolution/diffusion (as in sustained release drugs), or colligative propers (melting points, freezing points....)
-Besides the above main themes, you will also need to know Cell biology, Physiology, Biochemistry... Also law and a bit of communication (when you counsel people, for example, with different cultural context than yours or when you communicate with doctors that look down on you)

And then finally when you come to 3rd year, you will put all of these together in therapeutics when you look at the big picture of therapy and critically solve problems.

It's an arduous journey but it'll be worth it and you don't have to know all of these in 1 week. You will work on them gradually, each topics built on the previously ones. Just buckle up and enjoy the ride 😀 !
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering is pharmacy school really 3 to 4 years of intensive chemistry. I mean I am way better in organic than I was in gen chem, maybe because its more reading and understanding in orgo instead of just equation after equation, math, math, math. But is it really just several years of advanced chem or what does it consist of?

Definitely not. (Thank goodness!) 😀
 
no way

check out the course work of each school you are applying to

but let me tell you........the first few semesters of pharm school is pretty irrelevant

biochem????? biology????? drug chemistry???????

the 3rd year is probably the most important schooling you will get........usually school's will designate "groups" i.e. CV, GI, neuro, endocrine, etc........and then teach the disease states associated with treatments and monitoring parameters..........

dude, throw a molecular bio exam in front of me right now and i'll be happy to get above 60% on it
 
lvp0021, thanks for the detailed explaination of the courses! I have read through curriculums for some of the schools and I didn't really know what a lot of those course names actually meant. That all sounds very very intersting. 😀 I'm excited!
 
My school combines med chem, pathophys, pharmacology, and therapeutics. You start taking those courses during your P-2 year. We will start out with the pathophys of a disease state then move to pharmacology/med chem, and finish up with the therapeutics section.
 
Oh that makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing that, I mean its not that I am totally bad at chemistry or anything, but I would just die if that was all it was. Anymore input from others will be greatly appreciated
 
I can't comment on all four years because im only in my first semester but so far its almost all chem. I think it gets better next year cause we get to do pharmacology and therapeutics but we still have med chem and pharm sci. Then third year we have to do research, which i imagine will involve some chem depending on what your research is.
 
I think it depends upon the program. UCSF and UCSD will be more like PHD in biochem. I think pharmacy school should be like getting a PhD in biochem minus the research. But I like more theoretical programs anyway. It is easy to understand what drugs to prescribe to a patient if you really know the underlying chemical structure and how in great detail, each drug works. That way you will not just be memorizing drugs and their side effects.
 
god im doing mpharm in UK.The amount of maths sucks, i cant do it. I want to move to us after finishing here too.
 
I think it depends upon the program. UCSF and UCSD will be more like PHD in biochem. I think pharmacy school should be like getting a PhD in biochem minus the research. But I like more theoretical programs anyway. It is easy to understand what drugs to prescribe to a patient if you really know the underlying chemical structure and how in great detail, each drug works. That way you will not just be memorizing drugs and their side effects.


this has absolutely zero relevance in the real world

people care about trials and outcomes..........its ALL about "what study did you reference to find the answer?"

if you care about mechanism of action and chemical structure, then you belong in drug design and research..........not in the hospitals and community helping patients
 
what goes through a pharmacists mind when he/she prepares the prescription for the patient?

do you need to know the structure of the medicine? do you process through what allergic symptoms the patient can get.
how liable are you if the patient's illness gets worse or calls to blame you?
what kind of mistakes can or have been made? were they're crucial - leading to death??