Is pharmacy tech a full time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mongoose539

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
id like to gain some experience in the pharm industry, yet i am still in my undergrad...

im sure that most places would LIKE to hire full timers, but do you think anyone makes exceptions for students?

maybe work full time over the summer?

i dont really think that working during school would help my grades so i would try and refrain from it

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

id like to gain some experience in the pharm industry, yet i am still in my undergrad...

im sure that most places would LIKE to hire full timers, but do you think anyone makes exceptions for students?

maybe work full time over the summer?

i dont really think that working during school would help my grades so i would try and refrain from it

thanks

It depends on the place. Some places only need part-time while others need full-time. It's getting to be cold and flu season so business really picks up. The pharmacists get more hours to give to techs during this time of the year, so they might need a full-time person or someone just to cover extra shifts and weekends.

pharmacy technician is NOT a full-time job only...

at the cvs i worked at, we had so many students (pre and non) and interns (pharmacy students) working part-time. There were only 3 full-timers. It's actually harder to become full-time if they don't have the $ or time to hire you. so, no worries! you should be able to get a part-time job so you can get some experiences in.

for the summer, it is a bit harder to find jobs unless you apply early. it's because pharmacy students come back home and need to work so there are less hours for the part-time techs. so, you can definitely work weekends while in school~ good luck with finding a job!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, it depends on the place, but most of the time yes. It is easier at retail vs. hospital. At my work though, we aren't hiring at all and we aren't getting any more hours. We had someone leave, but no one extra was hired. Its a tough market for techs right now

There are some gems out there, but it depends on your luck. I had a hard time finding spots at local retail pharmacies. I'd suggest volunteering if you can't find a part-time position. That's how I landed my dream position- I volunteered for a long time at the hospital before asking for a job. Now I am a part-time hospital tech only working 2 weekends a month, which is perfect as a full time undergrad student.

at my store, it is mostly full-time workers. if you work in a hospital, i am pretty sure it is full-time work....

As others have said, you'll have very few problems applying as a part-timer. Most places actuall prefer part-timers as the company doesn't have to pay out benefits, PTO, etc. Usually full-time is reserved for people who have been there longer or are in higher positions (senior techs, etc.). Obviously, this is for retail. In a hospital setting, it's the exact opposite. You'd be lucky to land a part-time gig at any hospital, as they're mostly looking for people who are commited to working there full time.

at my store, it is mostly full-time workers. if you work in a hospital, i am pretty sure it is full-time work....

At my hospital we have two full time and three part time techs, it works out pretty perfect for us - if someone needs a day off there's usually someone who can cover (the full-timers can't pick up an extra shift without getting overtime but the part-timers can pick up two or three extra days). But I'm sure every hospital is going to be different.. you won't know until you ask!

I work part-time.
In some cases, hours are based on seniority.
Just ask the pharmacy manager.