Is pharmacy what I really want to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay some background info...

I'm 32, male, not married or no kids. I've got a BS in computer science and business admin in 1998. Worked as a programmer, systems analyst, and engineer. Laid off twice in the past decade with the most recent last summer. IT has been decimated over the past decade with H1's and outsourcing and I haven't found work so I decided to go get my pharm tech license and start pre-reqs for pharmacy school. Took the PCAT last fall and got a 85 and so far I've gotten into 3 schools (South, ACP, VCU). I'm very malaise about pharmacy but I cannot afford to keep bouncing between jobs and as uncertain as healthcare is right now it is still better that 90% of the professions out there. I feel that this will be "just a job" and there is no passion or desire and if it wasn't very stable I wouldn't even look at it. Seriously they could pay $60K a year and as long as I feel I could retire with the same company I would take it in a heartbeat.

I'm wondering how many other students have changed careers from non-healthcare related professions to pursue pharmacy and why.

Thanks for your responses...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 32, male, not married or no kids. I've got a BS in computer science and business admin in 1998. Worked as a programmer, systems analyst, and engineer. Laid off twice in the past decade with the most recent last summer. IT has been decimated over the past decade with H1's and outsourcing and I haven't found work so I decided to go get my pharm tech license and start pre-reqs for pharmacy school. Took the PCAT last fall and got a 85 and so far I've gotten into 3 schools (South, ACP, VCU). I'm very malaise about pharmacy but I cannot afford to keep bouncing between jobs and as uncertain as healthcare is right now it is still better that 90% of the professions out there. I feel that this will be "just a job" and there is no passion or desire and if it wasn't very stable I wouldn't even look at it. Seriously they could pay $60K a year and as long as I feel I could retire with the same company I would take it in a heartbeat.

I'm wondering how many other students have changed careers from non-healthcare related professions to pursue pharmacy and why.

You feel malaise about pharmacy and don't care. You have no passion or desire and just want lots of money and stability. You are a 32 year old man with no one to support but yourself.

This is really pathetic. Are you for real? Why on earth would any care what you do if you don't?

I have a degree in Computer Information Systems/business. And I have always liked health so I decided I didn't want to sit behind a computer all day and that I wanted to work with people. I chose Pharmacy because it is a clean work environment, many different ways you can go with it (hospital, retail, consultant, etc), you don't have to touch people or deal with bodily fluids if you are not into that stuff, and also there are many part time opportunities. If you end up not loving it(don't wanna do it 40+ hrs a week), you can still work part time and make good money. But before you decide to go into it, I would try working as a tech or shadow just to make sure you are not going to 100% hate it. Or take a bio or chem class to see if you like that that kinda stuff. I didn't take either before I decided to go for pharmacy and ended up absolutely loving them. Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)

Choose a career you will enjoy doing for the next 30+ years. You might have better financial/employer stability with pharmacy but if you don't like what you do your quality of life will suck anyways.

Choose a career you will enjoy doing for the next 30+ years. You might have better financial/employer stability with pharmacy but if you don't like what you do your quality of life will suck anyways.

I like this avatar better than the last one, it was too weird

Honestly you're going to be putting a LOT of work into something you don't care about. This isn't just finding a weekend job so you can play around in something you enjoy. You are going to become a healthcare provider for the rest of your career and you have a responsibility to yourself AND your patients.

If it's not something that gets you the least bit excited, don't do it. There are far more people would give their right hand to be in your position and you don't seem to be interested at all. That alone should tell you something.

You're right phathead. I have classmates that have been waitlisted at schools and are nervous about getting in and it sucks that they are that committed but don't have the scores and I'm just the opposite. I just want to get some traction in life and try to keep my head above water.
The one aspect of pharmacy that does appeal to me is emr and informatics. When I was working as an analyst for a hospital it was alot of fun figuring out the logistics of how each department worked and how communication could not only be done better as a hospital but also interfacing with other heathcare providers. I think this will be the only avenue that would interest me in the long run.

You're right phathead. I have classmates that have been waitlisted at schools and are nervous about getting in and it sucks that they are that committed but don't have the scores and I'm just the opposite. I just want to get some traction in life and try to keep my head above water.
The one aspect of pharmacy that does appeal to me is emr and informatics. When I was working as an analyst for a hospital it was alot of fun figuring out the logistics of how each department worked and how communication could not only be done better as a hospital but also interfacing with other heathcare providers. I think this will be the only avenue that would interest me in the long run.

The one thing about that is you don't necessarily have to go to pharmacy school for that. In fact, its doubtful you would use any of your training in pharmacy school to perform that type of job.

It sounds like you want to be involved in healthcare, but not necessarily as a provider. Honestly you sound a lot like a buddy I have who works for QS/1. He designs software packages for pharmacies in how they interrelate, communication information, make things more efficient, etc.

As cruel as it sounds, it would be a waste of a PharmD if you were to just do that. I think with your explanation there you described exactly what it is you want to do, you just might not be going the right manner to attaining it.

The other thing is you are talking about wanting a secure job... well what you just described there will be a secure job for many years to come. That type of thing will become increasingly important for adequate functioning between providers and patients over the years.

I'd suggest checking out QS/1 and other similar companies. I'm having a brain fart at some of the other big players at the moment, but its probably something you would enjoy. It would also give you an avenue to slip into a hospital or such to do some really hands on work like you desire.

I agree with the others. I've worked with many pharmacy students in my five years working at a pharmacy and it clearly shows when they lack passion for what they do. This attitude tends to bring down the morale of the workplace.
It sounds like you would enjoy working in hospital administration more, which is something you could probably do with your current credentials.
I enjoy what I do and would work as a pharmacist for free.

Stability and Financial concerns are not the worst reason for wanting to pursue a career. As long as you are proficient and have the skills to do the job then go for it. I would rather have a pharmacist that hated his job but knew how my medications would interact with my body over a really passionate pharmacist who would give me the shirt of his/her back after allowing me to take a drug that was going to kill me. Not all pharmacist have to whistle in the shower before they go to work everyday.

Thanks for the replies. I think alot of my current thinking stems from working retail for the past year and the environment is unbearable at times. Not from customers or patients which ever you prefer but the management is something out of "Lord of the Flies".

comments remind me something that was on an episode of House MD. Someone was questioning his bedside manner and he responded by basically saying which would you rather have a kind and sweet ***** that holds your hand while you die or someone that doesn't give a damn but can save your life? Yes it would be nice to have both worlds but I live on earth where nothing is what it seems or kindergarten playtime.

BTW, I have tried pursuing jobs at GE, Siemens, Mckesson, Meditech, QS/1, Fuji, AGFA, and none would look at me without strong clinical experience. They want to take nurses and turn them into management and IT material verses the other way around. So this is one of the reasons I'm going for a PharmD.

Honestly, I have the perception that lots of pharmacists chose their occupation based on similar desires. Because SDN forums will naturally include lots of people interested in pharmacy I doubt that will be so apparent here, but from observation and a little discussion I don't see a lot of pharmacists completely stoked about their profession. It interests me some which is why I'm here, but if given the opportunity to do things, I can't actually do, I'd do them.

Have you considered other medical / healthcare occupations?

Thanks for the replies. I think alot of my current thinking stems from working retail for the past year and the environment is unbearable at times. Not from customers or patients which ever you prefer but the management is something out of "Lord of the Flies".

comments remind me something that was on an episode of House MD. Someone was questioning his bedside manner and he responded by basically saying which would you rather have a kind and sweet ***** that holds your hand while you die or someone that doesn't give a damn but can save your life? Yes it would be nice to have both worlds but I live on earth where nothing is what it seems or kindergarten playtime.

BTW, I have tried pursuing jobs at GE, Siemens, Mckesson, Meditech, QS/1, Fuji, AGFA, and none would look at me without strong clinical experience. They want to take nurses and turn them into management and IT material verses the other way around. So this is one of the reasons I'm going for a PharmD.

Oh, that's neat that these companies providing supporting healthcare technology are specifically looking for PharmDs (and other professionals) rather than just the CS majors. Unfortunately, that doesn't help you out. Thanks for the info, though.