"Is PT Boring & Repetitive?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtisticAthlete

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you guys have heard this before...any practicing PT's out there? Do you think the job can get boring and repetitive? I'm starting to find out that I'm easily bored (or maybe I just have a bad case of Adult ADHD :scared:) and I'd hate to choose a career and end up bored 5 or so years later.

I know they say people (in different careers) can challenge themselves as much as they'd like so how can PT's challenge themselves?

The reason I'm bringing up this topic is because I used to work in a PT office and everytime I would walk through the "area"...the PT's weren't doing much and they looked kind of bored. I'm a fast paced kind of girl so should I be worried? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Almost 50 views and noooo responses! :confused: Come one guys, I know someone has an opinion on this; it's a common question.

From my volunteer experience inpatient PT appeared to be boring, but outpatient PT was quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Gracias! I'll check out that thread. Also, I just shadowed outpatient yesterday and I agree, it wasn't boring.

Almost 50 views and noooo responses! :confused: Come one guys, I know someone has an opinion on this; it's a common question.
Yah, say hi to the random lurkers. XP

I actually have never volunteered with an inpatient PT, only outpatient, but it has not been boring! There are always different types of people coming in with different injuries or ailments. There was always something new to talk about or hear from them too. =)

The boredom is an opinion. It goes to each's liking. A friend of mine, who was hell bent on becoming a PT started shadowing a number of settings and was turned off because it seemed boring to him. He then realized the reason he was so driven towards PT was b.c of he saw or read about pro team trainers and how some are PTs. He shadowed a PM&R doctor and found out it was more his thing.

Me on the other hand, thought it was kinda boring, but after shadowing there was no boring part of it. I mean there is some down time at times, but that's when you catch up with paperwork etc

But it's to each their own. and b4 someone bashes me, ithis my opinion.:D

Yah, say hi to the random lurkers. XP

I actually have never volunteered with an inpatient PT, only outpatient, but it has not been boring! There are always different types of people coming in with different injuries or ailments. There was always something new to talk about or hear from them too. =)

It's only boring if you let it become boring. There is a lot to do and learn throughout your career for PT to become boring.

Definitely not boring at all.

Before PT school, I worked as an aide with geriatrics (very depressing at this facility which almost deterred me from PT altogether). Only worked once a week and patients would pass away in-between. Just not my type of place.

Then I worked as an aide at a Childrens hospital which was amazing. Not fact paced but very attentive to the children and their needs. Very very fun if you like kids. Also very rewarding.

Then worked as an aide at private sports/orthopedic practice which was very fast paced, busy, and very fun.

All in all, as an aide/volunteer, you only get to see a small aspect of PT so if you get a chance, try a bunch of different settings. It worked for me.

I am now a practicing PT and love it. The field varies so much and has something for everyone. Just have to find it.

I agree with most posts that it has to do with the setting. I would not completely agree that an ortho setting is always interesting. You do end up seeing the same type of injuries (lumbar strain, shoulder strain, etc.); however, post-surgical patients are always interesting as each person responds to surgery differently. Plus, PT offers many aspects to keep you interested as long as you keep learning after graduation such as specializing or opening a private practice.

Personally, I have grown bored with PT. Statistics show that the PT's last about 5 years before leaving the field for another occupation or for other reasons (family - I already know 25% of my class has stopped practicing until their little ones get older). I have been practicing for 6 years and I guess that I fall under that stat as well. I would keep exploring different types of settings as an aide or volunteer to make sure you make the right career choice. Not all PT's stop practicing as I believe I am the only one in my class changing their profession. Well, I hope this helps.