Is QR not important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thercias

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see people all time around here saying that schools don't care about your QR score and that there are talks about it being eliminated/changed in the future. On contrast, RC is said to be taken very highly and is much more important. This is sort of worrisome because I'm good at math but bad at RC. Is this true or do dental schools only care about individual scores as long as you make a certain cut off score? What changes on QR are said to be made in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

I see people all time around here saying that schools don't care about your QR score and that there are talks about it being eliminated/changed in the future. On contrast, RC is said to be taken very highly and is much more important. This is sort of worrisome because I'm good at math but bad at RC. Is this true or do dental schools only care about individual scores as long as you make a certain cut off score? What changes on QR are said to be made in the future?

QR is the least important section of the DAT. But that doesn't mean that it won't help you to be good at math. If you kill the QR section, it brings your average way up. RC is definitely pretty important. But how much varies from school to school. Anything below 18 is risky, but people get accepted with that type of score all the time. Just aim for 20's to be safe z

QR is the least important section of the DAT. But that doesn't mean that it won't help you to be good at math. If you kill the QR section, it brings your average way up. RC is definitely pretty important. But how much varies from school to school. Anything below 18 is risky, but people get accepted with that type of score all the time. Just aim for 20's to be safe z
I'm just confused when people say QR isn't important though. RC and QR both bump/drop your AA score equally, so what do people mean when they say RC is important and VR is the least?

I'm just confused when people say QR isn't important though. RC and QR both bump/drop your AA score equally, so what do people mean when they say RC is important and VR is the least?

Admission officers in general weigh RC much heavily than QR, meaning that they would rather see/prefer a high RC and a mediocre QR score versus a mediocre RC and a high QR.

Members don't see this ad :)
QR is on the DAT for a reason..... The didn't just put it on for kicks and giggles, while it is definitely less important than RC, it does measure ones ability to critically think in short periods of time! Was math important in college?

QR is on the DAT for a reason..... The didn't just put it on for kicks and giggles, while it is definitely less important than RC, it does measure ones ability to critically think in short periods of time! Was math important in college?

QR has the least 'correlation' to any applicable clinical expertise of any dentist, it has no use on the dat and that is why they are reformating it and why many universities have tried to petition to get rid of it. not to mention...don't know any surgeons, dentists and or doctors that can still do that kind of math and just laughed at the fact that it was part of the dat. problem solving on paper with a pen and numbers is much different than problem solving with real life and patients. but nonetheless it is still part of your AA so don't neglect it!

Realistically, a lot of the scores that you guys see on SDN (23+) are not your AVERAGE DAT scores.... those scores probably represent maybe 10% of the applicants maybe less. I emailed a few dental schools and asked what the average accepted DAT scores are, the common response I got was 18. So as long as you get 18+, you should be fine IMO.

And QR DOES MATTER. I've been seeing lately that some dental schools are updating their sites to say no scores LOWER than 16 on ALL DAT Categories. Which means you can't just study really hard for the science sections and half ass the others. lol.

Getting a 27 in QR boosted my academic average. It really isn't that hard just don't waste time on one question or play around with the calculator for too long. The calculator is really bad, and I suggest just doing the math the good old fashioned way. When I took my test I literally did not know 10 QR questions so I marked them and came back to them. Luckily I had an epiphany. I think that is the best way to tackle the QR. SO, think of it like icing on the cake. It can add to your DAT score and it could take away from it but it matters the least so you mind as well take a risk during this section and try your best. That's how I looked at it, and it worked for me. Good luck!

Realistically, a lot of the scores that you guys see on SDN (23+) are not your AVERAGE DAT scores.... those scores probably represent maybe 10% of the applicants maybe less. I emailed a few dental schools and asked what the average accepted DAT scores are, the common response I got was 18. So as long as you get 18+, you should be fine IMO.

And QR DOES MATTER. I've been seeing lately that some dental schools are updating their sites to say no scores LOWER than 16 on ALL DAT Categories. Which means you can't just study really hard for the science sections and half ass the others. lol.

which schools did you email btw?