Is radiology a lifestyle specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beansandgreens

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
LOL JK!

On a serious note, I understand radiology is not what it once was. Pretty much, you guys are working harder for the same/decreased pay. Honestly, that really doesn't bother me because I really have nothing to compare it to personally. Finishing up MS3 and I'm having a time deciding what I want to do. Rads, gas and em have all been considered. I really don't care how "hard" I "work" when I'm at "work." The thing is, I want that to be predictable and flexible. For example: monday-friday, normal hours, minimal call and minimal weekends. If that's still attainable in radiology, then I think I'm ready to commit to it. I think another bonus for me is that I have no desire to live in a large, fun city. I am more than happy to live on a chunk of land in a rural area in the south/southeast.

As for fitting into radiology - I'm a very introverted person (INTP to be exact) and I'm literally a 100% visual person. I have a hard time paying attention to anyone and remembering what they're saying, but my visual memory is as sharp as it gets. I think that is another draw to radiology for me. I've been a gamer my entire life so sitting at a desk with a comfortable chair, not having to see patients, and working with my eyes/brain...this sounds great to me.

So, from other rads out there.. does it sound like I would be a good fit for rads and would rads be a good fit for me?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

LOL JK!

On a serious note, I understand radiology is not what it once was. Pretty much, you guys are working harder for the same/decreased pay. Honestly, that really doesn't bother me because I really have nothing to compare it to personally. Finishing up MS3 and I'm having a time deciding what I want to do. Rads, gas and em have all been considered. I really don't care how "hard" I "work" when I'm at "work." The thing is, I want that to be predictable and flexible. For example: monday-friday, normal hours, minimal call and minimal weekends. If that's still attainable in radiology, then I think I'm ready to commit to it. I think another bonus for me is that I have no desire to live in a large, fun city. I am more than happy to live on a chunk of land in a rural area in the south/southeast.

As for fitting into radiology - I'm a very introverted person (INTP to be exact) and I'm literally a 100% visual person. I have a hard time paying attention to anyone and remembering what they're saying, but my visual memory is as sharp as it gets. I think that is another draw to radiology for me. I've been a gamer my entire life so sitting at a desk with a comfortable chair, not having to see patients, and working with my eyes/brain...this sounds great to me.

So, from other rads out there.. does it sound like I would be a good fit for rads and would rads be a good fit for me?

Thanks!
How do you feel about an almost exclusively female patient population and wearing pink? That's about the only chance you've got to meet your desires in Radiology.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're really literally a 100% visual person, then congratulations on overcoming some incredible disadvantages. Also, why are "hard" and "work" in quotations? Are you implying that you won't actually be working?

There are jobs out there that are no weekends, nights, or holidays. They're typically employed positions with substantially lower pay and relatively little job security. On the other hand, lots of practices use a teleradiology service to cover the graveyard shift. Even then, you'll be working weekends and probably some evenings, depending on how early the telerads starts.

Truthfully, radiology is a 24/7/365 business nowadays. It's not that you couldn't be happy in radiology, it's just that there are precious few situations that fit your criteria. If you want to never work after-hours, then be an outpatient-only general internist or a family practitioner. My SO is one, and, outside of an occasional Saturday morning, she hasn't worked a night, weekend, or holiday since residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're really literally a 100% visual person, then congratulations on overcoming some incredible disadvantages. Also, why are "hard" and "work" in quotations? Are you implying that you won't actually be working?

There are jobs out there that are no weekends, nights, or holidays. They're typically employed positions with substantially lower pay and relatively little job security. On the other hand, lots of practices use a teleradiology service to cover the graveyard shift. Even then, you'll be working weekends and probably some evenings, depending on how early the telerads starts.

Truthfully, radiology is a 24/7/365 business nowadays. It's not that you couldn't be happy in radiology, it's just that there are precious few situations that fit your criteria. If you want to never work after-hours, then be an outpatient-only general internist or a family practitioner. My SO is one, and, outside of an occasional Saturday morning, she hasn't worked a night, weekend, or holiday since residency.

In quotes because work and how hard you work are very subjective. I absolutely do not mind working my ass off while at work. I just don't want work to consume my life. Tons of hobbies outside of medicine. One of those hobbies (building/racing cars) is quite expensive so some of the lower income specialties aren't as appealing for that reason. I understand that other things can be scaled back in my lifestyle to accommodate such a hobby but I honestly have no idea how far 200k (before being robbed) can take someone. As far as visual learning being a disadvantage, how is that so? I've found medical school to be quite easy. I can learn just as much as everyone else in half the time or less.

In quotes because work and how hard you work are very subjective. I absolutely do not mind working my ass off while at work. I just don't want work to consume my life. Tons of hobbies outside of medicine. One of those hobbies (building/racing cars) is quite expensive so some of the lower income specialties aren't as appealing for that reason. I understand that other things can be scaled back in my lifestyle to accommodate such a hobby but I honestly have no idea how far 200k (before being robbed) can take someone. As far as visual learning being a disadvantage, how is that so? I've found medical school to be quite easy. I can learn just as much as everyone else in half the time or less.

I build space ships for NASA with my free time and test drive bullet trains afterwards.

Thankfully, I'm an audio learner and don't need my eyes at all, even though I have 20/3 vision with ultraviolet capabilities.

Thanks for playing troll this thread, tune in next time for more fun in the sun.

Reactions: 1 user
In quotes because work and how hard you work are very subjective. I absolutely do not mind working my ass off while at work. I just don't want work to consume my life. Tons of hobbies outside of medicine. One of those hobbies (building/racing cars) is quite expensive so some of the lower income specialties aren't as appealing for that reason. I understand that other things can be scaled back in my lifestyle to accommodate such a hobby but I honestly have no idea how far 200k (before being robbed) can take someone.

Lots of radiologists have expensive hobbies. So do many other physicians. You're clearly concerned about having plenty of disposable income and time off, but most people don't need to keep bankers' hours to have a hobby. As far as the money, I'm not sure what to tell you. There are just too many variables, and most of them will likely change for you between now and when you finish fellowship.

As far as visual learning being a disadvantage, how is that so? I've found medical school to be quite easy. I can learn just as much as everyone else in half the time or less.

Not what I said. Just stop using the word literally incorrectly.

I build space ships for NASA with my free time and test drive bullet trains afterwards.

Thankfully, I'm an audio learner and don't need my eyes at all.

Thanks for playing troll this thread, tune in next time for more fun in the sun.
SDN is ****ing great lol

As condescending as you seem I'm sure you know what a hyperbole is.

I would have thought you recognized the sarcasm with the faux congratulations, but I guess not.

And, becuase you brought it up: hyperbole - exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally. Next time, I will take your use of the word literally figuratively.

LOL JK!

Thanks!
I would argue pathology is a better choice for you. They have a more "predictable" schedule, work more regular hours, minimal call, minimal weekends, in my experience they are more "introverted" than radiologists, they get to sit in a chair, they don't see many patients, etc. Sure, job market isn't great, but if you find med school "easy," then you should be able to land a great residency, and if you aren't limited to "a large, fun city," then you could likely get a job at $200k. You wouldn't have to do a prelim year or TY either interacting with patients, etc.

If it isn't, you're doing it wrong.

Is there any job in medicine where you don't work "hard" while at work? I mean, there are jobs with higher stress/risk than others for sure, but does this guy really think there are any doctors that like see a patient or two, go for a 30 min coffee break, do a chart, stare off into space for 15 minutes daydreaming, browse the web about building race cars etc?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is there any job in medicine where you don't work "hard" while at work? I mean, there are jobs with higher stress/risk than others for sure, but does this guy really think there are any doctors that like see a patient or two, go for a 30 min coffee break, do a chart, stare off into space for 15 minutes daydreaming, browse the web about building race cars etc?

Isnt that transplant surgery in between cases waiting to harvest a organ?

This sounds like a lot like anesthesia.

This sounds like a lot like anesthesia.

Isn't this not really the case anymore in a lot of places, with anesthesiologists going from room to room overseeing CRNA's? At least, that's what I've gathered just from what I've read on SDN and during one of my preceptorships (just an MS1 so don't really know).

Following around a PM&R doc right now... accurately describes most days haha.

Isn't this not really the case anymore in a lot of places, with anesthesiologists going from room to room overseeing CRNA's? At least, that's what I've gathered just from what I've read on SDN and during one of my preceptorships (just an MS1 so don't really know).

It really varies from institution to institution. I've rotated at some hospitals where it seemed to be more like you've described above. On the other hand, I did an anesthesia rotation at a hospital where both MD's and CRNA's just carried their own cases from pre-op to post-op.

Radiology is a lifestyle specialty if you fancy yourself working in it a sweatshop. Do not underestimate the mind clutter you bring home after an "easy" 8-5 shift. You will make more life-and-death decisions on that shift than your average primary care doc will make in a month.