Is research a "non-medically related experience"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsweet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the question asks "What non-medically related experience has been most influential in your life?" Can I talk about my research work? Its not clinical research (I'm always in the lab running experiments) but it is research about a clinical condition.

Also, the second question asks "In your intellectual development and preparation for a medical career, which non-science college course has been most valuable? Why?" I wanted to write about my Medical Ethics course, which was focused on physicians and practicing medicine, but this question says a "non-science" course, so medical ethics should be ok right?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The research should be fine, but just talk more about it as if it is not medically-based but it may have medical implications. And ethics is fine too...it's not science like biology or chemistry.

sunsweet said:
So the question asks "What non-medically related experience has been most influential in your life?" Can I talk about my research work? Its not clinical research (I'm always in the lab running experiments) but it is research about a clinical condition.

I'm not an expert, but I just don't see how medically related research can be considered a non-medically related experience. Your research may be important to you, but if the application asks for something unrelated to medicine, why in the world would you tell them about something related to medicine? You have other opportunities throughout the application process to talk about your research. I think you should take the opportunity to show that you're not just another pre-medical drone and have had some real life experiences. Unless, of course, you are a pre-medical drone, then all I can do is tip my cap and wish you good luck! :luck:

SanDiegoSOD said:
I think you should take the opportunity to show that you're not just another pre-medical drone and have had some real life experiences. Unless, of course, you are a pre-medical drone, then all I can do is tip my cap and wish you good luck! :luck:

:laugh: ...good point. I was hoping to get out of writing another essay since I already have one about my research for another secondary. I guess you're right... *sigh* one more essay to add to the pile :rolleyes: