Is Research a requirement??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DashEFX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a MS II very much interested in neurosurgery as a specialty. I've done well in my didactic classes to date--and second year seems to be going well. I see no reason why I shouldn't do well on the boards (other than some disastrous event-I'm keeping my fingers crossed). My biggest concern is that I don't have any real research experience (other than my thesis in undergrad) AND I attend a school without a neurosurgery residency program. I am wondering whether research is an absolute necessity to matching into neurosurgery. It's not that I'm not interested in it--an opportunity just hasn't presented itself. Do you think it would be wise to take a year off to do research? Since I'm already 27, I'm definitely ready to be out of med school (most of my friends from college are already physicians). But as I put together my portfolio I see this lack of research as an obvious negative. What do you guys think?

Also, has anyone out there on SDN matched into neurosugery but had no home program? I'm interested in knowing some of your strategies employed to ensure a successful match.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a MS II very much interested in neurosurgery as a specialty. I've done well in my didactic classes to date--and second year seems to be going well. I see no reason why I shouldn't do well on the boards (other than some disastrous event-I'm keeping my fingers crossed). My biggest concern is that I don't have any real research experience (other than my thesis in undergrad) AND I attend a school without a neurosurgery residency program. I am wondering whether research is an absolute necessity to matching into neurosurgery. It's not that I'm not interested in it--an opportunity just hasn't presented itself. Do you think it would be wise to take a year off to do research? Since I'm already 27, I'm definitely ready to be out of med school (most of my friends from college are already physicians). But as I put together my portfolio I see this lack of research as an obvious negative. What do you guys think?

Also, has anyone out there on SDN matched into neurosugery but had no home program? I'm interested in knowing some of your strategies employed to ensure a successful match.

Thanks!

some advice:
-never take anything for sure...study your butt off for those boards, not to mean this as an insult but if your school doesn't have a ns program I am assuming it is probably not a extremely strong program overall, so your board scores will count enormously
-no ns program=very bad, you need letters from attendings that know attendings, it is a small world and people recognize names-even at away rotations no one gets to know you as well as your home program which you don't have=less personal letters of rec (you need a minimum of 3)
-In your situation I would take the year off and get to know some attendings, go to a program you may see yourself at, the time spent is not for "research" per sa but to let them get to know you and for you to get to know the program, gives you a chance to actually see what NS is about, since even from your short posting I would raise the question of why would you want to go into NS having not even seen it and chosing a school without a program you can't say you wanted to go into from the beginning.
-ego=no good
-I don't think research is absolutely necessary, the BNI and lots of great programs (that even advertise, academic/research programs) take many people who have not taken the year off
-keep an open mind when you go into 3rd yr, ns is fun but tough, also you just started your 2nd yr there is lots of cool stuff out there
-sorry don't mean to be critical but advice is critical and listening to it is even more important in this game and you are at a disadvantage of not having the luxury of obtaining advice from your home program
-27 isn't old, that almost made me laugh :p, if you are ready be out of medical school don't be fooled residency is not real life, 7 years is a long time

Trout, thanks for your response. Though I am bit confused about some assumptions you made. So I think I should clarify. I definitely intend to study my butt off for the boards. I hope I didn't give you the impression that it was gravy. That would be totally absurd thinking on my part. My school used to have a neurosurgery program and no longer does. But I don't see how that translates to me not having a clue about neurosurgery. I appreciate the advice about third year and keeping my options open. Believe me my eyes are wide open and I totally agree with you about the grueling, tough as nails nature of neurosurgery---however, u assumed i have no experience at all with the field. My 5 years btw ugrad and med school were spent wisely in that regard. Also the time to request a research year is fast approaching at my school. So I've got to put together a preliminary plan now--which was the point of my post. I just wanted to field some opinions on research and matching neurosurgery. Finally, being in med school when your friends are almost done with residency or in some cases attendings isn't fun....that's the reason I am "dying" to be done with school. In the same vein, old is relative (though you assumed I was saying 27 was old). I didn't mean to imply that, but when all of your friends are professionals with careers, and you're still a student, you definitely start to FEEL old even if you aren't.

Anywho, although your response had alot of inaccurate assumptions, I do appreciate your opinion about research and neurosurgery. It definitely gives me some things to think about. I believe SDN is a great resource in this regard. However, I am weary that everytime I ask a question and don't give my life story with the post...someone will assume I am a dolt that needs to be "schooled" as you did. Don't worry though I've taken no offense to your response. I believe everything is a learning experience. Since I am new to SDN, I'll try to be more clear in my future posts. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trout, thanks for your response. Though I am bit confused about some assumptions you made. So I think I should clarify. I definitely intend to study my butt off for the boards. I hope I didn't give you the impression that it was gravy. That would be totally absurd thinking on my part. My school used to have a neurosurgery program and no longer does. But I don't see how that translates to me not having a clue about neurosurgery. I appreciate the advice about third year and keeping my options open. Believe me my eyes are wide open and I totally agree with you about the grueling, tough as nails nature of neurosurgery---however, u assumed i have no experience at all with the field. My 5 years btw ugrad and med school were spent wisely in that regard. Also the time to request a research year is fast approaching at my school. So I've got to put together a preliminary plan now--which was the point of my post. I just wanted to field some opinions on research and matching neurosurgery. Finally, being in med school when your friends are almost done with residency or in some cases attendings isn't fun....that's the reason I am "dying" to be done with school. In the same vein, old is relative (though you assumed I was saying 27 was old). I didn't mean to imply that, but when all of your friends are professionals with careers, and you're still a student, you definitely start to FEEL old even if you aren't.

Anywho, although your response had alot of inaccurate assumptions, I do appreciate your opinion about research and neurosurgery. It definitely gives me some things to think about. I believe SDN is a great resource in this regard. However, I am weary that everytime I ask a question and don't give my life story with the post...someone will assume I am a dolt that needs to be "schooled" as you did. Don't worry though I've taken no offense to your response. I believe everything is a learning experience. Since I am new to SDN, I'll try to be more clear in my future posts. Thanks again.

If you check out most NSurg academic programs, quite a few require residents to perform research of some sort. That is why prior research experience is so important, especially for the bigger programs. Also, you don't need to take a year off to do research, just take a few months off, maybe in a elective research rotation, in neurology or surgery. Away rotations are also a plus, especially when its at a program you are interested in.

-portfolio=tool