1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

is research experience necessary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mr79steroid, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mr79steroid

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    is there anybody got into dental school without having any research experience?
    it seems like dental schools tend to accept applicants w/ research experience.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Where did you get that info?

4. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not necessarily, however, it does look good that you were exposed to some form research. Remember ur selling urself so you have to embellish it a bit. If you can do research, its alot of fun if ur doing something interesting.

5. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I did research but it seemed like a lot of kids at my interviews had not. Its just another opportunity on your resume to display your interest in dentistry, its definitely not a requisite for entry.

6. rockets1

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think research experience is a plus. It doesn't mean you will automatically get in. I know of many people who have had no research experience getting into dental school.

7. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have no research experience at all.

However I think it would have helped a great deal for many schools

8. Simply_Unique

Simply_Unique Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No. I didn't do any research and I know others that didn't and got accepted. But it may depend on the school.

9. AA3

AA3
    7+ Year Member

It depends where you want to apply. I know UCSF really cares about research and if you have an experience it would be helpful to get an interview and admission from UCSF.

10. nydds25

2+ Year Member

A school like NYU who takes 220 students could care less about research, while Stony with 39 students does care. I was grilled by my Stony interviewer for not having research, where in most of the schools like NYU, NOVA, Baltimore, etc, it never came up.

11. Astral87

Astral87 Predent
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey, i never did research but was accepted into stony brook dental school... so I don't feel it is necessary but definitely a plus and everyone should do some sort of research either clinical/translational or laboratory oriented if they have time on their hands!
    Especially for those who have average gpa/DATs, it's will be a great advantage.

12. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's obviously not a requirement, but some people need more on their application to make up for sub-par stats. I think my 4 years of research played a significant role in my getting into dental school. For someone with all 20's and a 3.7 GPA, it's probably not a big deal if they don't have it.

13. nydds25

2+ Year Member

14. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Not necessary. But it will help you and you will be learning..so it's a win win! Just think about it, you are competing with applicants with 4.0, 20+, volunteering, research, and shadowing. You want to bring as much to the table as you can. Do the best YOU can.

15. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

I disagree, you can look at my PreDents I didnt get alllllll 20's I did get a 17 on QR but everything else was above. With a 3.81 GPA I think it would have significant impact on my application.

16. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    right, because for you it might have been the difference between getting 13 interviews and getting err... well, 13 interviews.

17. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

Ha, make that 14 now :) but still I think it has a good deal to do with getting the final acceptance. Same with all extras. But research carries weight, I would suggest having research.

18. bcdds09

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree that having research can only contribute in positive ways towards your application, but as someone else said, how different schools emphasize it varies greatly. I think it's also worth pointing out how involved you are with the research (3 months vs 2 years) is really important as well.

14 interviews is insane. Did you/are you planning to attend all of them???

19. MKD1960

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No research experience, accepted at UDM and U of Mich

20. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I think research is beneficial. I had several interviewers who were PhD faculty and it establishes a bases where you can talk about your research or relate it to aquired problem solving traits, etc.

However, I earned a straight out rejection from Michigan with several years of research under my belt... So it all depends, it's an asset I think.

21. zazu537

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Research experience isn't necessary, but it definitely gives them a reason to look at your application. I've been working in a research lab for a year and half now and at most of my interviews we mainly discussed my research. At UConn, my interviewer even knew my research professor. I didn't realize it would be that important, I was involved out of self interest and to meet a requirement as part of my Honors thesis, but I really felt that having that experience was huge advantage on my application. Also, like someone said - it's a big difference if you're in a lab for 3 months or 3 semesters. If you have time and can get into a lab, do it - It's probably one of the best things I've done in undergrad.

22. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Wow with your stats I would have guessed you got more acceptances. What's your state of residence?

23. r8 dds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does it necessarily have to be dental-related research or can it be any kind? I'm planning on doing some research next semester, but it's not dental related.:rolleyes:

24. beastmode

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Importantly, research allows you to get to know a professor(s) better which then allows them to write you a far better recommendation letter. So many professors get the "hey I got an A in your orgo I lecture will you write me a recommendation letter". Then they are writing a letter based on the few encounters that they had with you in office hours as opposed to the 3 semesters that they spent mentoring you on a research project. You never get to see those letters but they are probably pretty average.

25. dentite12345

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I didn't do any, and did well getting acceptances. Of course it cant hurt though.
    I was asked at some interviews if I did any research, I simply told them I had not and they never asked why (I still got in after those interviews so it is not an all important part of your application).

26. zazu537

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

I don't think it really matters. It just about self directed learning and taking the initiative to do something in addition to your required classes.

27. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think it is good to have research and some schools like it more than others.... It is not required though.