1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

is research experience necessary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by mr79steroid, Dec 18, 2008.

1. mr79steroid

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    is there anybody got into dental school without having any research experience?
    it seems like dental schools tend to accept applicants w/ research experience.

2. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Where did you get that info?

3. Sublimation

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not necessarily, however, it does look good that you were exposed to some form research. Remember ur selling urself so you have to embellish it a bit. If you can do research, its alot of fun if ur doing something interesting.

4. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I did research but it seemed like a lot of kids at my interviews had not. Its just another opportunity on your resume to display your interest in dentistry, its definitely not a requisite for entry.

5. rockets1

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think research experience is a plus. It doesn't mean you will automatically get in. I know of many people who have had no research experience getting into dental school.

6. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have no research experience at all.

However I think it would have helped a great deal for many schools

7. Simply_Unique

Simply_Unique Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No. I didn't do any research and I know others that didn't and got accepted. But it may depend on the school.

8. AA3

AA3
    7+ Year Member

It depends where you want to apply. I know UCSF really cares about research and if you have an experience it would be helpful to get an interview and admission from UCSF.

9. nydds25

2+ Year Member

A school like NYU who takes 220 students could care less about research, while Stony with 39 students does care. I was grilled by my Stony interviewer for not having research, where in most of the schools like NYU, NOVA, Baltimore, etc, it never came up.

10. Astral87

Astral87 Predent
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey, i never did research but was accepted into stony brook dental school... so I don't feel it is necessary but definitely a plus and everyone should do some sort of research either clinical/translational or laboratory oriented if they have time on their hands!
    Especially for those who have average gpa/DATs, it's will be a great advantage.

11. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It's obviously not a requirement, but some people need more on their application to make up for sub-par stats. I think my 4 years of research played a significant role in my getting into dental school. For someone with all 20's and a 3.7 GPA, it's probably not a big deal if they don't have it.

12. nydds25

2+ Year Member

13. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Not necessary. But it will help you and you will be learning..so it's a win win! Just think about it, you are competing with applicants with 4.0, 20+, volunteering, research, and shadowing. You want to bring as much to the table as you can. Do the best YOU can.

14. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

I disagree, you can look at my PreDents I didnt get alllllll 20's I did get a 17 on QR but everything else was above. With a 3.81 GPA I think it would have significant impact on my application.

15. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    right, because for you it might have been the difference between getting 13 interviews and getting err... well, 13 interviews.

16. Andrew324

7+ Year Member

Ha, make that 14 now :) but still I think it has a good deal to do with getting the final acceptance. Same with all extras. But research carries weight, I would suggest having research.

17. bcdds09

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I agree that having research can only contribute in positive ways towards your application, but as someone else said, how different schools emphasize it varies greatly. I think it's also worth pointing out how involved you are with the research (3 months vs 2 years) is really important as well.

14 interviews is insane. Did you/are you planning to attend all of them???

18. MKD1960

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    No research experience, accepted at UDM and U of Mich

19. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I think research is beneficial. I had several interviewers who were PhD faculty and it establishes a bases where you can talk about your research or relate it to aquired problem solving traits, etc.

However, I earned a straight out rejection from Michigan with several years of research under my belt... So it all depends, it's an asset I think.

20. zazu537

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Research experience isn't necessary, but it definitely gives them a reason to look at your application. I've been working in a research lab for a year and half now and at most of my interviews we mainly discussed my research. At UConn, my interviewer even knew my research professor. I didn't realize it would be that important, I was involved out of self interest and to meet a requirement as part of my Honors thesis, but I really felt that having that experience was huge advantage on my application. Also, like someone said - it's a big difference if you're in a lab for 3 months or 3 semesters. If you have time and can get into a lab, do it - It's probably one of the best things I've done in undergrad.

21. dentalmagnet

2+ Year Member

Wow with your stats I would have guessed you got more acceptances. What's your state of residence?

22. r8 dds

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does it necessarily have to be dental-related research or can it be any kind? I'm planning on doing some research next semester, but it's not dental related.:rolleyes:

23. beastmode

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Importantly, research allows you to get to know a professor(s) better which then allows them to write you a far better recommendation letter. So many professors get the "hey I got an A in your orgo I lecture will you write me a recommendation letter". Then they are writing a letter based on the few encounters that they had with you in office hours as opposed to the 3 semesters that they spent mentoring you on a research project. You never get to see those letters but they are probably pretty average.

24. dentite12345

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I didn't do any, and did well getting acceptances. Of course it cant hurt though.
    I was asked at some interviews if I did any research, I simply told them I had not and they never asked why (I still got in after those interviews so it is not an all important part of your application).

25. zazu537

2+ Year Member

Dental Student

I don't think it really matters. It just about self directed learning and taking the initiative to do something in addition to your required classes.

26. Zubnaya Feya

Zubnaya Feya Combinator
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think it is good to have research and some schools like it more than others.... It is not required though.