Is research necessary to match into rads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is research for matching into radiology? I'll be starting at a mid-tier US MD program this August, and I have my heart set on rads. I don't enjoy research at all, but I will gladly do it if it will significantly increase my chances. If it matters, I ultimately want to practice somewhere in New England or New York...

A couple more questions:

Does the research have to be radiology-specific or would any clinical research count?
When is the best time to get involved in research?

Thanks, friends :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For matching it's not important. For matching into a top program it's important. No it doesn't have to be radiology specific but it helps if it is. Since you're just starting you shouldn't even worry about this yet. The best time is probably towards the end of 3rd year when you actually know what you're going into. You have no idea how you feel about other fields at this time. Also, do something productive during the summer between the 1st and 2nd year. Pick something that interests you, radiology or non-radiology.

New England or NY is vague. Do you mean Boston or NYC? Or anywhere in those states? There's a lot of middle of nowhere in upstate NY, VT, NH, ME, and western Mass. Boston or NYC: Boston has less programs and they're pretty competitive, NYC has a ton of programs (some competitive, some not so much).

P.S. if your name is "Foot Fetish" why didn't you just go to podiatry school?

Reactions: 1 user
For matching it's not important. For matching into a top program it's important. No it doesn't have to be radiology specific but it helps if it is. Since you're just starting you shouldn't even worry about this yet. The best time is probably towards the end of 3rd year when you actually know what you're going into. You have no idea how you feel about other fields at this time. Also, do something productive during the summer between the 1st and 2nd year. Pick something that interests you, radiology or non-radiology.

New England or NY is vague. Do you mean Boston or NYC? Or anywhere in those states? There's a lot of middle of nowhere in upstate NY, VT, NH, ME, and western Mass. Boston or NYC: Boston has less programs and they're pretty competitive, NYC has a ton of programs (some competitive, some not so much).

P.S. if your name is "Foot Fetish" why didn't you just go to podiatry school?
Goodness, who the hell cares what someone's username is?

To answer the OP: no, research doesn't matter in the slightest outside of the top-10 tier or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goodness, who the hell cares what someone's username is?

To answer the OP: no, research doesn't matter in the slightest outside of the top-10 tier or so.

Relax. It was a joke

Great username! Research isn't important to match unless you're shooting for a top program.

I agree with all other replies above.

In regards to your other questions, I'd recommend applying for mini-research fellowships during your longest break time of med school. Some schools have it between MS1-MS2 others btwn MS2-MS3. Do the research in an area that you're actually interested in, so that it does not feel like a chore. Most of my research was in surgical fields (b/c the Surgery Department was very active with the med school in research), and my interviewers didn't seem to care. But then again, I did have a couple projects related to radiology too; so try to sprinkle in something (maybe case reports?) related to to radiology .