-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is Rx for syringes implied for insulin vial rxs?
Started by Charcoales
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yeah this is what I've been doing but seems like Dr office is always annoyed when I call and they just say give whatever syringes covered by ins. Oh well :/No, does not sound reasonable to me. Get a verbal rx for the syringes if they want insurance to pay for it or sell it cash OTC
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Like always just get a verbal ok to always give syringes. It's a waste of time to call on every script.
Yeah this is what I've been doing but seems like Dr office is always annoyed when I call and they just say give whatever syringes covered by ins. Oh well :/
Likewise aren't you annoyed especially if it's some **** community health center. Of course your "clientele" on Medicaid will never pay cash for syringes when it's covered.
Oh what a burden, to write an actual script with actual specifics. Just ask the patient and you can write the Rx yourself
I take HCG injection for Low T. My doc never writes the needle Rx. I feel like a heroine addict going into the pharmacies and asking to buy them. You guys look at me funny. 😵😕
If you have a good relationship with the local MDs, call ahead of time to check if he is ok for you to always write syringes for his pts without calling everytime. That's what I do. Some doctors let me auto sub PPIs also without calling to whatever the insurance cover after asking his permission, they don't wanna get bothered.
Not if it is Med B. Otherwise who cares? What doctor is going to say they don't want their patients to be able to inject their insulin?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
Who cares? It's about training prescribers like training patients to have some ****ing common sense. Would you want to be in a situation with some hypochondriac patient who "didn't want THOSE syringes" and you just faked a script? No it is not worth it to "maintain workflow" if you are doing someone else's work for a lazy-ass prescriber
If syringes are that trivial, then isn't it that trivial just to send an e-script?
Same goes for Victoza and pen needles
Walmart syringes are 12.58 per 100 and 9 per 50 for pen needles so if junkies can afford needles, so can you (the patient).
As for calling prescribers 60-70% of my maintenance Rx come from overburdened community health centers and psych clinics so it is impossible to talk to someone in person in a timely manner and these patients know their health care is garbage anyway
Syringes are not billed to part B BTW.
If syringes are that trivial, then isn't it that trivial just to send an e-script?
Same goes for Victoza and pen needles
Walmart syringes are 12.58 per 100 and 9 per 50 for pen needles so if junkies can afford needles, so can you (the patient).
As for calling prescribers 60-70% of my maintenance Rx come from overburdened community health centers and psych clinics so it is impossible to talk to someone in person in a timely manner and these patients know their health care is garbage anyway
Syringes are not billed to part B BTW.
Last edited:
Hmm I must be thinking of strips I guess. My bad.Who cares? It's about training prescribers like training patients to have some ****ing common sense. Would you want to be in a situation with some hypochondriac patient who "didn't want THOSE syringes" and you just faked a script? No it is not worth it to "maintain workflow" if you are doing someone else's work for a lazy-ass prescriber
If syringes are that trivial, then isn't it that trivial just to send an e-script?
Same goes for Victoza and pen needles
Walmart syringes are 12.58 per 100 and 9 per 50 for pen needles so if junkies can afford needles, so can you (the patient).
As for calling prescribers 60-70% of my maintenance Rx come from overburdened community health centers and psych clinics so it is impossible to talk to someone in person in a timely manner and these patients know their health care is garbage anyway
Syringes are not billed to part B BTW.
I don't believe 'prescriber training' is possible. The office will just insist you're the only Pharmacy that gives them any trouble blah blah blah. And then they will keep doing whatever it is they're doing. But by all means if you have time to contact every office that forgets to write a script for needles go for it. To each their own
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
Just write up a script yourself for syringes and give it. You can ask the patient which syringes they use and give them that. If they don't know, or it's their first time, tell them you will give them the right ones for the amount of insulin they will inject.
It's not rocket science.
Same for pens. They need pen needles to work.
Doctors have a lot more important stuff to worry about. I'm not calling them for syringes or pen needles, especially since they are the ones who wrote for the insuliln. They want the patient to be able to use the insulin, right? If I call, the secretary is going to say, "Yeah it's fine, give them whatever the plan pays for."
It's not rocket science.
Same for pens. They need pen needles to work.
Doctors have a lot more important stuff to worry about. I'm not calling them for syringes or pen needles, especially since they are the ones who wrote for the insuliln. They want the patient to be able to use the insulin, right? If I call, the secretary is going to say, "Yeah it's fine, give them whatever the plan pays for."
If I am the "only" pharmacy that gives them trouble, then I just tell them to send their scripts somewhere else. Problem solved. One less problem practice for me to deal with. I always laugh when they think I'm supposed to give a crap about losing Rx.
If they wanted the patient to be able to use the insulin, then what's so hard about writing a script? Not very detail-oriented.
Never actually call on this stuff anyway because of the exact reason stated and because it's impossible to reach anyone. Fax and force them to provide a response that way. Nothing in retail is mission critical
If they wanted the patient to be able to use the insulin, then what's so hard about writing a script? Not very detail-oriented.
Never actually call on this stuff anyway because of the exact reason stated and because it's impossible to reach anyone. Fax and force them to provide a response that way. Nothing in retail is mission critical
I usually call or sell OTC. If the patient gets pissed off they call the Drs office save me the time I would have spent on hold so I can do my real job. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I am the "only" pharmacy that gives them trouble, then I just tell them to send their scripts somewhere else. Problem solved. One less problem practice for me to deal with. I always laugh when they think I'm supposed to give a crap about losing Rx.
If they wanted the patient to be able to use the insulin, then what's so hard about writing a script? Not very detail-oriented.
Never actually call on this stuff anyway because of the exact reason stated and because it's impossible to reach anyone. Fax and force them to provide a response that way. Nothing in retail is mission critical
I usually call or sell OTC. If the patient gets pissed off they call the Drs office save me the time I would have spent on hold so I can do my real job. 🙂
I have never understood why patients would go to a pharmacy that is this unconcerned with serving their patients. Do they not realize some pharmacies will actually want to fill their prescriptions?
I tell pt I will fax or they can buy OTC. I would never call.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I have never understood why patients would go to a pharmacy that is this unconcerned with serving their patients. Do they not realize some pharmacies will actually want to fill their prescriptions?
I have never understood why patients would go to a practice that is this unconcerned with serving their patients. Do they not realize some practitioners will actually want to do their job correctly?
Works both ways buddy
Its otc, if they need it they can buy it, no one is stopping them from using their insulin. Again, either have a verbal agreement with the office or they can buy it. Never waste your time calling the office. The copays aren't usually that great anyways.
I don't think syringes are OTC in every state. I would do it on a case by case basis. If I've talked with the doctor and he's made it clear that he wants all new insulin RX's to be given a standard syringe, then I would go with that thereafter.
I have never understood why patients would go to a practice that is this unconcerned with serving their patients. Do they not realize some practitioners will actually want to do their job correctly?
Works both ways buddy
But why punish the patient for the doctor's error?
I just assume that they forgot and write out a telephone order.
But why punish the patient for the doctor's error?
The doctor's office is then "punished" for the error when the patient calls their office and complains. Funny how things work faster when the patient's ire is redirected to the correct entity
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 6K