Is "saving up money" to afford a formal post-bacc a valid reason to defer enrollment? Apply now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twixmoments

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am considering one of the popular career-changer post baccs (Bryn Mawr, UVA, etc.). One of the biggest obstacles is paying for these programs since they generally aren't eligible for substantial amounts of federal loans. This paired with a high COA, means it will take me around 2 years to save up enough liquid money to afford these programs (approx ~$80k). As a note, there are several reasons why I specifically would rather not go DIY if I have these programs as an option. I don't mind paying for these programs, I mind having the liquid money to pay for these programs in full during the duration of the program.

Now, with As in some supplemental science coursework (4.0 BCPM) and 200hrs+ in nonclinical/clinical service hours, I do feel like I am ready to apply now or at least next cycle and not have to wait several years to get started.

However, realistically if I were to get accepted today there is no possible way I would be able to afford the program out of pocket. Is "saving up money" to afford the program a valid reason to defer enrollment? It would be nice to know what program I am going to attend while I save/prepare rather than saving so aggressively for uncertainty. It would be frustrating to wait two years and save up all this money just to get rejected and being forced to start a DIY anyways. But, I also don't want to leave a poor taste in these post-bacc adcoms mouth and risk throwing away an acceptance from a good program and jeopradizing my reapplication next year. Perhaps the officials of the programs might be understanding? This is kind of an odd thing to ask program officials beforehand so wanted to gain insight from here hahaha.

So should I just hold off for 2 years, save up all the money, and apply then? Or apply now, on the predication that they will likely be OK with deferring my enrollment for financial reasons?

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.