Is secondary essays graded harshly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studentofdeen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on my applications but I am little worried if the secondary essays may not be that good. Will they be graded harshly?

Members don't see this ad.

If they’re “not that good” then you don’t submit them. You’re willing to blow your chance at a school over that? They will throw your app to the bottom of the pile and pickup someone else’s who put the effort in.

The way I'm thinking about it- there's a lot of work that I put into everything leading up to the application, so why give anything less than 100% now?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Following. I think the OP meant it more in the sense that many of us work on our general essay for months, but only have a few weeks to write our supplemental essays. I don't think they're trying to write bad essay on purpose lmfao

Reactions: 3 users
The key is to write well thought out/ nicely written answers as quickly as you can. You should be spending a couple hours to days max per supplemental imo, since completing your app quickly is crucial for rolling admissions and this is a small part of your app package, however they are still reviewed. What’s good is they actually serve as an advantage a lot of the time, since you end up researching the programs more thoroughly to answer your questions which will help in interviews.

Reactions: 1 user