1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is September too late for a Retake?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Zach90, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Zach90

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I got a 32 on my June 16th MCAT, and i know I could do better, seeing as how I had been scoring 35s and 36s on AAMC and Kaplan tests for two months before my real test. I am signed up to retake it August 12th, but I want to move it back to September 2nd. Is that too late for this cycle? I should be submitting my primary application this weekend.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PinkpanthaMD

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Retake a 32???? That's like 88th percentile. LOL

4. Zach90

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical

lol yeah...i mean its only because 1) i was hoping to apply to top 25 schools and 2) i have very little research experience, so that is already a big negative, right?

5. vairules

Pre-Medical
    No. It's late, but not "too late". You can certainly still apply this cycle. Just know that what you're doing is risky - there's not much of a gap between what you got and your perceived potential, which itself could not be entirely accurate for a number of reasons. It's possible to improve, but with a 32, it's also possible to do worse, which would make you look pretty silly in the eyes of admissions.

6. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First... do not re-take a 32. Second... DO NOT retake a 32.

7. MCATBUSTER

dude c'mon 32! it's up to you, but I wouldn't retake. Actually, if you don't want your 32 I'd take it in a heart beat. Your 32 will probably not hold you back at a top 25 school but your little research experience might ( and that's a MIGHT).
    One last thing, why would you put your self again in that beast MCAT situation when you have a score to be proud of? is it worth it? will a 35 make you a better candidate than a 32? what if you end up with a 31?

8. Melomare17

5+ Year Member

what about retaking a 30?

9. vairules

Pre-Medical
    I probably wouldn't unless:

-It's horribly unbalanced - less than 7 in VR, for example
    -You were consistently scoring high 30s on your practice tests, and you're going for top schools