1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is September too late for a Retake?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Zach90, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Zach90

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    I got a 32 on my June 16th MCAT, and i know I could do better, seeing as how I had been scoring 35s and 36s on AAMC and Kaplan tests for two months before my real test. I am signed up to retake it August 12th, but I want to move it back to September 2nd. Is that too late for this cycle? I should be submitting my primary application this weekend.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PinkpanthaMD

Removed

Pre-Medical
    Retake a 32???? That's like 88th percentile. LOL

4. Zach90

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical

lol yeah...i mean its only because 1) i was hoping to apply to top 25 schools and 2) i have very little research experience, so that is already a big negative, right?

5. vairules

Pre-Medical
    No. It's late, but not "too late". You can certainly still apply this cycle. Just know that what you're doing is risky - there's not much of a gap between what you got and your perceived potential, which itself could not be entirely accurate for a number of reasons. It's possible to improve, but with a 32, it's also possible to do worse, which would make you look pretty silly in the eyes of admissions.

6. CodeBlu

CodeBlu Dream Weaver
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First... do not re-take a 32. Second... DO NOT retake a 32.

7. MCATBUSTER

dude c'mon 32! it's up to you, but I wouldn't retake. Actually, if you don't want your 32 I'd take it in a heart beat. Your 32 will probably not hold you back at a top 25 school but your little research experience might ( and that's a MIGHT).
    One last thing, why would you put your self again in that beast MCAT situation when you have a score to be proud of? is it worth it? will a 35 make you a better candidate than a 32? what if you end up with a 31?

8. Melomare17

5+ Year Member

what about retaking a 30?

9. vairules

Pre-Medical
    I probably wouldn't unless:

-It's horribly unbalanced - less than 7 in VR, for example
    -You were consistently scoring high 30s on your practice tests, and you're going for top schools