Is Shadowing a DO a must?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JugglesMed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know schools dont require you to shadow a DO but during interviews will it hurt you if you havent?
I shadowed an MD who practices holistic medicine and he is who introduced me into DO so do you think that would be enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Please shadow a D.O.

It would be even better if you could also shadow an FAAO - fellow of the American academy of Osteopathy.

Please don’t use the generic term “holistic medicine” in your essay or interview.

Know the tenants of Osteopathic medicine.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly, unless the school appears to put special emphasis on asking for DO letters, then no, it doesn't hurt you not to have DO experience. It helps, of course, but many people have gotten into DO schools without DO shadowing. You should look at each school you're applying to and make that judgment yourself about what their opinions are regarding DO exposure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please shadow a D.O.

It would be even better if you could also shadow an FAAO - fellow of the American academy of Osteopathy.

Please don’t use the generic term “holistic medicine” in your essay or interview.

Know the tenants of Osteopathic medicine.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks I plan on shadowing a DO soon

I know schools dont require you to shadow a DO but during interviews will it hurt you if you havent?
I shadowed an MD who practices holistic medicine and he is who introduced me into DO so do you think that would be enough?
It won't hurt if you don't shadow, but it can help if you do.
Caveat, IF you live close to a DO school, or in a region of the country where DOs are common, there's little excuse for not shadowing one.

Reactions: 1 user
Shadow a DO and get a LOR. Do well, ask questions, be curious. A good letter can help a lot and it's better that it's from a DO

You can judge from these LOE requirements whether to shadow a DO or not.

Edit: new schools that didn't make the list that I know of. ARCOM requires a DO letter, and ICOM doesn't but prefers a DO letter.
Screenshot_20180408-032336_Dropbox.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I have never met a DO in real life. I work in a hospital and all I see are MDs.

Honestly, it's all about how you frame your experiences. "I shadowed a MD who continued to explain to me the principles and tenants of osteopathic medicine. I have a few osteopathic shadowing opportunities lined up, but havent been able to yet due to helping impoverished children in the gaza strip with my magnanimous presence and altruism...." or something less lofty and crazy sounding.

It really is all about how they perceive you, not entirely about whats on paper. Getting you in the door for an interview is gonna depend on whats on paper: scores, LORs, etc. But if you are confident in your scores and application, I dont think its necessary to have shadowed a DO.

I personally never shadowed a DO, but I talked about how a DO physician aligned my ribs with HVLA. Good enough.

DO letter is not required but is preferred. I got into multiple DO schools with an MD letter. LECOM (at least LECOM-B) does not require a DO letter.

I have never met a DO in real life. I work in a hospital and all I see are MDs.

They are everywhere in the east coast and Midwest. Many are PDs at acgme programs on the east coast. At least from what I've seen.