Is Shadowing for a whole week at once too much?

Started by MJB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MJB

Senior Member
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the opportunity to shadow my IM Doc for a whole week, M-F at one point this summer...and wonder if I should take him up on it or try to do 2-3 days (having to take vacation to do so).

I will say that he is not a big fan of the "2 or 3 hours here and there" type of shadowing, or even one day at a time...

He wants me to get a very good feel for what it's really like to be in his shoes and live the life of a Doc. I'm leaning toward just going ahead and doing it...although it will mean sacrificing some vacation time.

My biggest fear is that I would end up doing a lot of sitting around doing nothing while he does dictations, but am hopeful that wouldn't happen.
 
MJB said:
I have the opportunity to shadow my IM Doc for a whole week, M-F at one point this summer...and wonder if I should take him up on it or try to do 2-3 days (having to take vacation to do so).

I will say that he is not a big fan of the "2 or 3 hours here and there" type of shadowing, or even one day at a time...

He wants me to get a very good feel for what it's really like to be in his shoes and live the life of a Doc. I'm leaning toward just going ahead and doing it...although it will mean sacrificing some vacation time.

My biggest fear is that I would end up doing a lot of sitting around doing nothing while he does dictations, but am hopeful that wouldn't happen.
Sounds like you should take him up on it (but bring along a good book).
 
I don't THINK it would be a situation where I would be left sitting around, because he's just not like that...but you never know.

I'm quite sure he has picked a week for me to come in for good reason...and he's the one that pushed for me to "jump in with both feet" when it comes to shadowing.

I think it would be a situation where I meet him at the hospital for rounds early in the morning and then join him for his clinic visits during the day...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When a doctor offers to help you, accept on their terms. It's about respect and appreciation.
 
I once shadowed a surgeon for an entire month straight. When he was doing something boring he handed me off to a resident or intern. He also helped me to arrange to shadow other doctors throughout the month. I think doing a whole week is a good idea for the reasons your guy listed. You really get a feel for what it feels like to practice medicine. Sounds like a great opportunity!