Is Shadowing for a whole week at once too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to shadow my IM Doc for a whole week, M-F at one point this summer...and wonder if I should take him up on it or try to do 2-3 days (having to take vacation to do so).

I will say that he is not a big fan of the "2 or 3 hours here and there" type of shadowing, or even one day at a time...

He wants me to get a very good feel for what it's really like to be in his shoes and live the life of a Doc. I'm leaning toward just going ahead and doing it...although it will mean sacrificing some vacation time.

My biggest fear is that I would end up doing a lot of sitting around doing nothing while he does dictations, but am hopeful that wouldn't happen.

Members don't see this ad.

MJB said:
I have the opportunity to shadow my IM Doc for a whole week, M-F at one point this summer...and wonder if I should take him up on it or try to do 2-3 days (having to take vacation to do so).

I will say that he is not a big fan of the "2 or 3 hours here and there" type of shadowing, or even one day at a time...

He wants me to get a very good feel for what it's really like to be in his shoes and live the life of a Doc. I'm leaning toward just going ahead and doing it...although it will mean sacrificing some vacation time.

My biggest fear is that I would end up doing a lot of sitting around doing nothing while he does dictations, but am hopeful that wouldn't happen.
Sounds like you should take him up on it (but bring along a good book).

I don't THINK it would be a situation where I would be left sitting around, because he's just not like that...but you never know.

I'm quite sure he has picked a week for me to come in for good reason...and he's the one that pushed for me to "jump in with both feet" when it comes to shadowing.

I think it would be a situation where I meet him at the hospital for rounds early in the morning and then join him for his clinic visits during the day...

Members don't see this ad :)
When a doctor offers to help you, accept on their terms. It's about respect and appreciation.

I once shadowed a surgeon for an entire month straight. When he was doing something boring he handed me off to a resident or intern. He also helped me to arrange to shadow other doctors throughout the month. I think doing a whole week is a good idea for the reasons your guy listed. You really get a feel for what it feels like to practice medicine. Sounds like a great opportunity!