Is shadowing to be done long term or short term?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard that 50+ hours is a competitive amount of hours to shadow each type of physician. I am about to start shadowing soon during winter break, and I was wondering if it is better to rack up those 50+ hours with 3 visits per week for 5 hours each for 4-5 weeks, or is it better to spread the visits throughout my breaks and rack up 50+ hrs in the span of months/years. If the latter is better, i would be able to shadow every winter and summer break. I’m just wondering if the latter might be better to depict consistency and commitment on apps?

Members don't see this ad.

For most extracurriculars, long term is better to show commitment and that you are going beyond box checking. Shadowing is an exception. The sole purpose is for you to gain exposure to medicine, and it doesn't matter whether you do it in a short frame or over several weeks. Exposure to medicine is exposure to medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’ve heard that 50+ hours is a competitive amount of hours to shadow each type of physician. I am about to start shadowing soon during winter break, and I was wondering if it is better to rack up those 50+ hours with 3 visits per week for 5 hours each for 4-5 weeks, or is it better to spread the visits throughout my breaks and rack up 50+ hrs in the span of months/years. If the latter is better, i would be able to shadow every winter and summer break. I’m just wondering if the latter might be better to depict consistency and commitment on apps?
It’s 50 hours total that’s a good number as long as you have a good bit with a primary care doc. It is definitely not “50+ hours...to shadow each type of physician.”

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing for more than 50 hours won't enhance your application, so long as it includes a primary care doc. Better to spend any extra time at your disposal adding to volunteer hours.

Reactions: 3 users
My kid shadowed each physician for 2 full days during holiday breaks over 3 years and that seems to be sufficient.