Is spanish a hidden requirement for SoCal schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Scandinavia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering taking spanish over the summer and fall, so I will have a year of spanish before I (hopefully) enter med school. Is spanish only beneficial to applicants applying to SoCal schools, or is this a "hidden" requirement? Will taking spanish make a difference to my chance of acceptance at all?

Thanks for your input :)

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know from UCLA, Spanish is highly recommended (along with a familiarity with computers). It's not a requirement, but I think it can only help you. Btw, a course in statistics is a requirement for UCLA so you might want to look into that if you're applying here. Good luck.

Spanish is very useful regardless of location. I would definitely recommend you take it, even if you don't want to be in SoCal. PLEASE take it! Es la mejor idioma en el mundo! :clap: :D

p.s. I talked about learning Spanish at most of my interviews, so yes I think it helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo creo que todas las personas que quieren practicar medicinos en California necesitan a hablar espanol.
Al menos, si quiere Ud. a servar todos la gente.

Okay. Here's my story. I've taken an equivalent of 7 years of spanish - two in college. Don't get me wrong, I can conjugate the hell out of verbs and the such, but speaking it in conversation is so much different than the conventional school teachings. I'd recommend that you immerse yourself into the language to learn the conversational skills -- it'll be worth it in the end.

Good luck!

I second Forensic Chick's post. After you take Spanish classes, make it worth your while by immersing yourself in the language (and hopefully the culture). I didn't have time to go abroad, so I volunteered in a Spanish-speaking clinic (very few patients knew any English), and I learned more than I ever could have asked for. :D

From my experience, any second language is looked upon as an asset especially Spanish. In most schools that are located in California, Chicago, New York,Texas, and Florida Spanish is preferred because of the heavy population of Spanish people. If you are thinking about applying to schools in PR then Spanish is a must.
If anybody needs info about the PR schools feel free to e-mail me.

I'm going to augment opel's post by saying it's also muy importante at U of Arizona - they even go so far as to mention Spanish speakers are highly encouraged to apply specifically in the MSAR listing. Dittoed by an asst. dean of adm about 2 months ago who told me it's all but a unwritten requirement.

After living on the border for 4 years and having completed an honors program in college for spanish, I too was having a hard time with everyday Spanish. So I began volunteering at a free clinic for predominantly Hispanic speaking clientele. That helped immensely, and it was there I was told of a "Spanish for Medical Personnel" class at two local CC's. Highly recommend it to ANYONE considering medicine - check with your local CCs. Priceless class!

Hi Fredonia,

I was glad you addressed the class "Spanish for Medical Personnel". My local cc offers it every semester and I have been thinking about taking it. Do you think this class should be in addition to the regular college class? I am interested in speaking the language, not not necessarily memorizing gramatical rules. I have been in this situation before by taking three years of german. Lets just say that I don't like it (es gefallt mir micht). I know many gramatical rules, but please don't ask me to hold a conversation.. :rolleyes:

Definitely take the medical Spanish class! That's a great opportunity. I'm going to look into it to see if my cc offers it this sumemr, so I can get formal medical Spanish training :D

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=010669&p=1" target="_blank">Check out this thread too...</a>

it's definitely a boon as you can just see by going to the med school's website where it says "spanish recommended"

but it's not a requirement so don't feel forced to take it or whatever if you don't want to