MC POST

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
1. Does one need to have completed step 2 prior to the whole ophthalmology matching process--ie-prior to residency programs choosing interviewees or prior to residency programs making their ROL's?

2. I scored a 233 on step 1. Should I try and take step 2 early to boost my score at the expense of preparing for an away rotation?

Many thanks to this helpful website.

exmike

NOR * CAL
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 19, 2003
Bay Area
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
1) no
2) yes, if you know you can do sig. better. remember the avg is 231 so statistically you 're above avg.

eyedr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
1) no
2) yes, if you know you can do sig. better. remember the avg is 231 so statistically you 're above avg.

233 is a good score for step 1 and this should allow you to make the cut off for interviews at many middle and lower tier programs. But there is so much more to a good ophtho applicant than your step scores. You should take a step back and try to look at the larger picture and decide what would make you a more desirable applicant. A higher step 2 score may earn you a few more interview offers, but will likely have no bearing on where you fall on their rank list, as personality, commitment, research, LORs etc will likely play a larger role at that stage of process.

Vballguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
233 is a good score for step 1 and this should allow you to make the cut off for interviews at many middle and lower tier programs. But there is so much more to a good ophtho applicant than your step scores. You should take a step back and try to look at the larger picture and decide what would make you a more desirable applicant. A higher step 2 score may earn you a few more interview offers, but will likely have no bearing on where you fall on their rank list, as personality, commitment, research, LORs etc will likely play a larger role at that stage of process.

Exactly - LOR, research, maturity, and personality weigh a lot. I matched at my #1 choice with a comparable step1 and without having taken step2. No one mentioned it during interviews or anything.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.