• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2001
Someplace cold
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi all,

I've been looking at Peds Programs to apply to next year (trying to work out ideal locations with my hubby!). One thing I came across on CHOP's website was they make it sound like you have to have passed USMLE Step 1 and 2 (I'm assuming they mean CK) for your application to be complete:

"To apply you must...Passed USMLE Parts I and II"

For those who applied this year, is that really the case? Does anyone know what's the latest one can take Step2 if applying to CHOP? Do they make a big deal and "hold" your app if you take it later in 4th year? (Our school's deadline for taking CK is Nov 30, CS is Dec 31--both are graduation requirements).

Any other Peds programs that require step2 early on?

Thanks for your input!

ibeababydr

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I dont know about CHOP for sure, but I was asked by Northwestern to have my step 2 scores before the rank order lists were made.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2001
Someplace cold
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I dont know about CHOP for sure, but I was asked by Northwestern to have my step 2 scores before the rank order lists were made.

Hi ibeababydr,

I wonder if that's what they meant also and I'm reading too much into it? If that's the case, then it should be OK, b/c I'll take it by Nov '07, so it would be done (and hopefully passed!) by my ROL time.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Honestly, I DON'T want to take my Step2 so early enough for programs to see it when reviewing applications! I did really well on my Step1 (251/99) back in 2002, which was before my PhD. There's NO WAY in @#%* my Step2 will compare to that--just want to remember what I can to pass :)

About the Ads

Complications

10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
I got my interview from CHOP before I took step 2. Not sure if they require it for ranking. Either way ... you could take it and not release the scores until you see them.

ibeababydr

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sorry, I didn't fully read everything! I did not take Step 2 until December and received interviews at CHOP, Northwestern, etc. However, I got an email in January from Norwestern and Iowa that I needed to have passed step 2 in order to be considered for their ranking.

chhsu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Status (Visible)
Actually for NWU Children's Memorial, I was only asked to have passed Step 2 before starting residency, not before ranking. I got this info at the interview and by email. I haven't taken Step2 yet and won't for another 2 weeks. So I don't know where people are hearing they have to have step 2 in order to be ranked.

blanche

#$%&*[email protected]!!#?
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2006
the heart of saturday night
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Agree with the Northwestern clarification...my impression was also that Step 2 was required to start residency, not be ranked.

Another program, Michigan sent a letter about Step 2, but when I emailed them to regretfully inform that I wasn't taking it until Feb, was essentially told no big whoop--they only worry about having this prior to ranking in an applicant that may have a record of difficulty passing tests or whatever.

So my guess is that for most programs, if you have done ok not having step 2 in the file is not going to matter too much. Don't remember specifically about CHOP, the subject of the thread however

ibeababydr

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is what I received from Iowa: Since your medical school requires that you pass USMLE Step 2 as a condition of graduation, please send your results as soon as they are available. We will need them by Feb. 15th in order to include you in our rank list. Thanks alot and happy holidays.

And this is from Northwestern: Please be aware that Northwestern University has a new requirement for all applicants. All applicants must take and pass Step 2 of the USMLE and send a copy of their score (by ERAS or by mail) prior to the start of residency. If you have not already done so, please do so ASAP. So I guess it varies from each place. Sorry about the confusion.

mdphd2b

Hepato-phile
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2001
Someplace cold
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks for all the replies. I realize it's program-specific. I think most med schools (including mine) have Step2 as a grad requirement.

Not sure what difference it makes if res programs require it before ranking vs. starting residency. Either way you need to pass it! Also, would they rank a person lower than expected if s/he passed Step2 but didn't kick a$$ on it?
I hope that's not how they use it!

I appreciate everyone's comments on the details for these programs. I don't want to miss out due to minor technicalities! I'm trying to get a head start on narrowing choices of cities to apply to, since my (non-medical) husband would have to relocate his position. He's in the business field so we're basically looking into the large urban centers.

Good luck in this year's Match :luck:

Rybaby

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2006
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hello,

I actually did a Sub-I at CHOP, and specifically asked about this question. The response I got was that the score is not truly required, but if you don't have a good/great score that it might not exactly be a positive thing if you have not taken USMLE II.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.