Is Summer Research Worthwhile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SusGob711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school offers a couple of summer research opportunities, one through my bio department and one through the actual College of Medicine. Is it worthwhile to pursue only summer opportunities? I don't think I could manage to fit a whole semester of it in so I'm thinkign of applying to the College of Medicine (their research is more medicine-related versus bio-related). What kind of research did everyone else pursue (i.e. length? area? etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

My school offers a couple of summer research opportunities, one through my bio department and one through the actual College of Medicine. Is it worthwhile to pursue only summer opportunities? I don't think I could manage to fit a whole semester of it in so I'm thinkign of applying to the College of Medicine (their research is more medicine-related versus bio-related). What kind of research did everyone else pursue (i.e. length? area? etc.)

Well, obviously researching w/ the COM will make you more appealing to that specific COM. It may or may not have too interesting of an impact to other med schools, but any research at all beats none. If I actually knew about these programs, I would've done one every summer.

Summer is fine. Longer is ideal and will be able to provide you w/ much more valuable LORs as well as the possibility of publication, leadership in a lab, etc., but if it's all you can do, it's all you can do. Do what you can. Research is less important than is clinical experience. Most applicants probably have 6-12 mos of research experience. Many have more.

Members don't see this ad :)
A summer isn't bad. Of course it would take more to "stand out" but then again, there's the chance that you could get involved in something really great during that summer and get something to show for it (poster, conference, publication, etc).

It's definitely better than nothing. I don't know that you'll really stand out because of it, though, or be able to get a stellar LOR. It'll also be tough to do any type of presenting at conferences, unless that's built into the program.

I think you should do it. You will at least get experience doing research, which is valuable.

- You should do it. But do it because you actually want to, not because you think that it will help you get into medical school. Otherwise, you won't have a fun time and just end up hating what you're doing. Research experience will only help you in the future.

- I did HIV biomedical research through a summer research program at UCSF and it really opened my eyes to the world of research and I really gained an appreciation for the research community. My mentor was extremely intelligent and her guidance really helped me become a much better researcher. I am confident in saying that one summer of intense research can be equivalent to a whole semester of part time research.

- Oh and her letter of recommendation did wonders for my medical school applications and Fulbright application. So it is a nice bonus.

Yeah do it only if you want to. If you're working 40hrs/wk then are likely to accomplish more than you would during a whole school year. Doing research during the semester sucks with a full course load. But yeah the summer is definitely worth it especially if its at the med school because if your PI is an MD you can follow them to journal club (= free food) and seminars which are usually pretty cool and they may even let you shadow.