is taking a remedial class looked down upon>?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rctriplefresh5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
due to a poor non existent high school education, i was placed into algebra 1 my first semester of college. i managed to get an A in that, and took algebra 2 in the summer a few weeks after to get an A there. i took trig this semester (semester ends in 1 week) and will have a b due to slacking. and i plan to take pre calculus in january, and calculus over the summer.
my question is this. do med schools care that i had to start out in a slower class, or do they see this as an improvement. i graduated highschool taking no more than algebra 1. so i would consider it an accomplishment if i got through calculus in less than two years.*first semester college was sep 2008 but i took my algebra 1 class jan 2009) i plan on finishing. my calc course in jul 2010. also for my first semester i actually tested into a class lower than alg 1 but i got the counselor to waive that class and i started in algebra 1 do medical schools look at the placement tests?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesnt matter you started off at a lower math level. Hell, i wouldnt even call it "remedial" really. The only thing u need to make sure ur careful about is to eventually take some challenging upper div sci courses.

1) do med schools care that i had to start out in a slower class, or do they see this as an improvement.

2) do medical schools look at the placement tests?
1) No. They only care that you completed the prerequisites and did well. It doesn't matter that you needed more prep time before you took them.

2) They do not look at placement tests. You took a gamble, but it paid off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesnt matter you started off at a lower math level. Hell, i wouldnt even call it "remedial" really. The only thing u need to make sure ur careful about is to eventually take some challenging upper div sci courses.
thanks catalystik and anxietypeaker.
im not sure what you would consider upper division science courses, but in one week(when the semester ends) i will have finished gen biology 1 and 2. and also general chemistry 1. iam taking general chemstry 2 and precalculus. in january. i am also taking organic chemistry 1 and organic chemistry 2 in the summer with calculus 1.

thanks catalystik and anxietypeaker.
im not sure what you would consider upper division science courses, but in one week(when the semester ends) i will have finished gen biology 1 and 2. and also general chemistry 1. iam taking general chemstry 2 and precalculus. in january. i am also taking organic chemistry 1 and organic chemistry 2 in the summer with calculus 1.

I just meant dont pad ur GPA to an extent that its obvious. I dont think u are....so dont worry bout it. As long as u fulfill prereqs itll be fine.

Upper-division science classes would be like Genetics, Cell Biology, Physiology, Biochem, Microbiology, Histology, Virology, Embyology, Endocrinology, Anatomy, among many others that build on the information you learned in the prequisites. Many med schools like you to have Biochem (and it sure makes the first year easier to have had it). A few med schools like to see one upper-division course with lab. Most don't require these, though they may be recommended. The more you've had, the less stressful med school will be. Getting As in them is very reassuring to adcomms that you'll succeed in the med school curriculum.

I placed into remedial math courses..but retook the placement test and placed into Calculus I :confused: My highest level of math was Algebra II in high school.. I WISH I would have just taken the remedial courses and the pre-reqs because I suffered and struggled in that class. Grades aren't out yet but I think I ended up with a B+. I was failing at the beginning of the semester and I broke my back trying to pass that class. Had I taken the pre-reqs that B could have been avoided. I could have avoided all of the tears and frustration as well. So I think remedial classes can be a good thing especially if they help your grades in the harder classes.. more preparation is definitely better and I learned that the hard way!