Is taking COMLEX only okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyboi1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am pretty set on Family medicine. Its always what I have wanted to do, which is why I attended a DO school in the first place (never applied any MD). Im in my second year second semester, and boards are coming. I signed up for COMLEX but not the USMLE. Throughout the 2 years, I have really been above average on all my major tests. Class average tends to be around a 80, and I have consistently been in the 85-90 range. I honestly, don't put in a lot of effort in studying compared to all other students. I regularly go out, drink, have a social life, and don't spend 24x7 on my studies. I recently found out I am ranked top 1/3 in my class, thought I was actually bottom half lol, so I was surprised. I feel like I want to practice in the South, in Florida or Texas. What do you guys thing?

Members don't see this ad.

USMLE opens doors, period. It sounds like you are a good test-taker, so you might as well just take USMLE. The worst that happens: you don't do well and you don't report it. But if you decided not to take it and eventually want to apply to more competitive ACGME programs and/or decide that you absolutely love another specialty that will require USMLE to be competitive, then you're screwed.

Basically, take the USMLE. Even if you think you want to do FM. It will make you much more competitive than applying with just a COMLEX score.

Posted similar thing here: FM Residency - take COMLEX only?

Consensus was that you don't need it. according to the NRMP survey, 97% of FM PDs accept COMLEX. At the end, you have to make this decision for yourself and be content with being in FM (or another low competitive primary care).

USMLE opens doors, period. It sounds like you are a good test-taker, so you might as well just take USMLE. The worst that happens: you don't do well and you don't report it. But if you decided not to take it and eventually want to apply to more competitive ACGME programs and/or decide that you absolutely love another specialty that will require USMLE to be competitive, then you're screwed.

Basically, take the USMLE. Even if you think you want to do FM. It will make you much more competitive than applying with just a COMLEX score.

You have a choice not to report it?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a choice not to report it?
This has been done in the past, but I’m not sure if it’s going to be an option anymore with a single merger application system, anyone know?

Also, some PDs would consider that unethical to not report it, you may be asked about it in interviews as well.

You do not have to report it, unless programs require USMLE, in which case, it needs to accompany your application. If a school specifically states they accept COMLEX in place of USMLE, then you do not have to report it. There is nothing unethical about it. Because as a DO, your school will not require it.

Again, you may indeed decide to pursue another specialty once you get into your clinical years. In that case, having a USMLE score would benefit you significantly.

This is such a hard question to answer because it depends on your goals/motivation/ego. I'll try to summarize:

-If you want to match at the best program possible with best training/brand name --> take USMLE
-If you are unsure of your goals, but want to keep all doors open --> take USMLE
-If you are content practicing "community medicine" in some community hospital familiar with/affiliated with your school --> COMLEX is fine
-If you are deadset on matching/applying to previously "DO" programs --> COMLEX is fine

Overall, your score on both is important. Don't underestimate how competitive things have gotten.