UHS05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
Philly
Status (Visible)
I will be applying for rad-onc this fall and was wondering if it was a good idea to take step 2 early in the cycle if I am satisfied with my step 1 score. I guess my biggest fear is not doing as well on step 2 and ruining my application.
Is this something PDs look very strongly at??? Any input is appreciated.

ADBS4

15+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2004
Status (Visible)
From the PD's I have talked to, Step 2 is not something that most applicants have the first time applying if they have done well on step 1 and they are applying during their 4th year of med school (i.e. not people that are applying later on in their medical careers, for example if they have done a year or two of research).
I don't know what your definition of a "good" step 1 score is, but I have heard that a lot of people have scores greater than 230 on step 1 or step 2 that end up getting positions in radiation oncology. Keep in mind, though, most programs look at the overall applicant (research, motivation for being in the field, overall personality, etc). I hope this helps. Also, if there is any other advice or if I have written incorrectly, other opinions would be appreciated!:confused: :confused:

pikachu

15+ Year Member
I am in the same boat as you are, UHS05. There is a whole psychology to this as far as I can tell. Some people will tell you that your step 1 score is very predictive of your step 2 so if you did well on step 1 you should go for step 2 right at the end of third year so everything is fresh in your mind and you will probably do ok -- then you will have another good score to back up your application. Another strategy I've heard about is to take step 2 but not release your scores. that way, if they are bad you can keep a lid on them. but the programs may still want to see the score if they can see you've taken the test. (can they, in fact? I don't know)

ADBS4, I think you're right about the programs looking at the whole package with research and LOR's being especially important. However, they do use step 1 scores for cutoffs as to whose application they will even look at. With the snowballing number of applicants, I guess they have to find some way to narrow the field. I think many programs cut off around 220-230. Whether this means that you will not get an interview with scores below this, I cannot say, but I know you have a much better chance of having your application looked at if your step 1 score is above the mean.

The only caveat is if the program specifically requires step 2 (from what I can tell most don't; have heard that some of the cali schools require it but I haven't done any research on them so i don't know).

About the Ads

Thaiger75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Status (Visible)
Doctor: I concur! (move: Catch me if you can :D) If your step 1 score is around the national average or greater, I would forgo on taking step 2. Even if you ace step 2, hard to know whether some programs screen with step 1. Nevertheless, a good step 2 should help with a deficient step 1, obviously.

Joe N

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
This is not a suggestion on what to do. Just wanted to let you know that I didn't run into any programs that required Step 2, and didn't take it until I was done interviewing.
Joe

UHS05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2001
Philly
Status (Visible)
Thanks for all the input. The only time I encountered any suggestion that step 2 would be critical was from the coordinator of one of the better programs that said almost all their applicants had already taken step 2. Having scored over 230 on step 1 already, I'm not ultrakeen to take step 2 before the interviewing process if I don't have to. So thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and input.

music710

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
I agree with everything said above. Personally, I matched in one of the "top" 5 programs, and didn't take Step 2. Nor did my classmates, nor did Joe -- who matched in an awesome program.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.