Is taking the MCAT on September first too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m planning to apply to MD/DO school for the fall 2019 cycle. Is taking the MCAT on September 1st too late even though the scores will release on October 2nd?

I’m taking it so late because I’ve no other choice since my practice tests scores are not looking good at this time.

Members don't see this ad.

I literally am going through this situation and got so much advice from other people knowledgeable about the process. Don't do it. I don't know about the DO cycle, but for the MD cycle it is extremely late unless you are a stellar applicant (like military veteran, 520 MCAT, URM, etc.). You will not be complete at schools till the first week to mid October at the EARLIEST even if you already submitted your primary for verification.

You always have a choice. Med schools are not going anywhere. Especially since your practice scores are not looking good. Take the test ONCE when you feel like you can score your BEST. I would wait to apply next year. That is exactly what I am doing.

Edit: I saw in your history you are an international student as well. Yeah, definitely wait till next year to apply if you're applying this late. I don't know much about the DO cycle so I'll leave that to someone else to give advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's very late. Might be able to get some MD/DO acceptances (depending on stats). I'd aim for next year - don't rush.

Members don't see this ad :)
But isn’t October 15th most schools’ deadline? What if I start the application now & go through the verification & then submit the scores later when it comes out on October 2nd?

I really can’t wait a year since I graduate next year which will mean that I’ll have to leave the country & applying from across the world is tedious than if I were to apply while being here.

But isn’t October 15th most schools’ deadline? What if I start the application now & go through the verification & then submit the scores later when it comes out on October 2nd?

I really can’t wait a year since I graduate next year which will mean that I’ll have to leave the country & applying from across the world is tedious than if I were to apply while being here.
It’s the deadline but medschools are based on a rolling admissions, meaning the earlier you apply the better

Schools are already giving out II. By October, you’re already limited but add on top of that the extreme competition of being an international student.. absolutely don’t apply MD in October.

I seriously dunno what to do. I don’t wanna take a gap year. I dont know why I’m not smart enough to do well on the MCAT. I’m under so so much stress. The premed advisor at my school is a joke & didn’t even what DO schools were. I just feel like my GPA, my research, my shadowing, everything I did with the intent of going to med school, are all going to waste. Idk why I’m mentioning it here to everyone, but I’m just so so frustrated with myself.

I seriously dunno what to do. I don’t wanna take a gap year. I dont know why I’m not smart enough to do well on the MCAT. I’m under so so much stress. The premed advisor at my school is a joke & didn’t even what DO schools were. I just feel like my GPA, my research, my shadowing, everything I did with the intent of going to med school, are all going to waste. Idk why I’m mentioning it here to everyone, but I’m just so so frustrated with myself.
What are your stats

What are your stats

—GPA: 3.85
—Double major in biology & psychology
—1 semester research & next semester I’m going to conduct my own research which I’ve designed under the supervision of a professor of course.
—180 hours of shadowing out of which ~100 hours is here & I’ve a recommendation letter from the physician I’ve shadowed & the rest is abroad in my home country.
—member of Phi Kappa Phi & all those organisations if those even count.

I know I don’t have any pubs or anything though...

—1 semester research & next semester I’m going to conduct my own research which I’ve designed under the supervision of a professor of course.
—180 hours of shadowing out of which ~100 hours is here & I’ve a recommendation letter from the physician I’ve shadowed & the rest is abroad in my home country.

You have a good shot for MD next cycle (depending on MCAT ofc). If you are fine with DO, then a decent MCAT can get you DO this cycle.

Any clinical experience or volunteering? Those aren’t negotiable and you need more than shadowing for clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any clinical experience or volunteering? Those aren’t negotiable and you need more than shadowing for clinical experience.

But isn’t shadowing physician interchangeable with volunteering at a hospital for clinical experience?

I honestly feel like I learned sooo much from shadowing the physician & the Pod than just volunteering at a hospital.

But isn’t shadowing physician interchangeable with volunteering at a hospital for clinical experience?

I honestly feel like I learned sooo much from shadowing the physician & the Pod than just volunteering at a hospital.

They’re not

Absolutely not. Shadowing you do for yourself. Volunteering is service to others. You should aim to have more volunteer hours than shadowing hours when you’re ready to apply.

That’s a great big NO!!!

What’s the rush? I know you are an international student but it’s doubtful that you will have much success. What if your MCAT isn’t great or even good for that matter? You won’t be complete at schools until mid October at the earliest. It seems you don’t have the needed ECs to be successful.

And in past cycles schools started accepting students on October 15( not sure if that’s the process this year but...). By the time schools even get to your application( might take anywhere from 3-12 weeks or longer) lots of interviews will be over and many slots filed.

I’m not sure how you don’t know this process and timeline but you only want to apply one time with best application possible.

I’m wondering, will it be easier to get into an M.D./PHD program instead?

Or maybe should I do Podiatric if MD/DO schools don’t work for me? I just don’t wanna regret later, I’d rather give my all & say to myself “I tried” than not trying my best.

Or maybe should I do Podiatric if MD/DO schools don’t work for me? I just don’t wanna regret later, I’d rather give my all & say to myself “I tried” than not trying my best.

Please don’t apply for the sake of not doing a gap year. You just went from MD, to DO to MD/PhD to Podiatry, what’s next?

Please don’t apply for the sake of not doing a gap year. You just went from MD, to DO to MD/PhD to Podiatry, what’s next?

But no honestly I’m not kidding. I really wanna enroll in a school right after graduation because even if I do take a gap year, I’ll have to be active in research & all that & I think if I do those all those in my country, they won’t be as recognised as opposed to doing it here in the states. I don’t wanna go back home without becoming something. I’ve already spent 100k+ in school here.

If you’re so concerned about not taking a gap year, I would suggest doing a masters in possibly biology or “pre-clinical sciences”. Look around for a one year program set up specifically for students who want to enroll in medical school or dental school, etc. Possibly look into a masters of public health if that’s interests you? That would be only two years. You have options, just follow what interests you if you are absolutely against a gap year.

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to apply to MD/DO school for the fall 2019 cycle. Is taking the MCAT on September 1st too late even though the scores will release on October 2nd?

I’m taking it so late because I’ve no other choice since my practice tests scores are not looking good at this time.
Late for MD, but fine for DO.

For this cycle I would think it would be. I wouldn't recommend applying this cycle.