Is teaching considered a hobby?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optimisticallypassingorgo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not currently applying to med school, but I was looking over secondary applications for some schools and saw one of the questions asked about hobbies outside medicine.

My question is; does teaching count as a hobby? I am currently an Arabic TA at a private weekend school, and I plan to join something similar to Peer Health Exchange that my school's pre med club has. It's pretty much the only non-med thing I do in my free time. I've been volunteering in this private institute since I was in middle school (first as an office aid, now as a TA). Can I put that down as my hobby? I also like to draw when I have the time but I'm not very good at it...

Would appreciate any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you remunerated for you work? If so, I would put it under employment. If not, as a volunteer activity (like TAing a college class or teaching English to immigrants).

Drawing would be a more of a hobby, yes. If it's only a hobby there is no expectation for competence. ;)

In a general sense, I would say it is!
However, listing that you teach as a TA under hobby would, logically, allow one to also say that they research as a hobby. It sounds a little off imo.
If you do stuff like make edu-tainment videos on youtube - that's certainly a valid teaching hobby :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought of something else. I do run a blog and a twitter dedicated to documenting human rights violations committed during the war in Syria. It originally had a somewhat more political lean to it but now it is solely dedicated to Syria's innocents. However, because of said previous political leanings I don't know if I should include it.

I just thought of something else. I do run a blog and a twitter dedicated to documenting human rights violations committed during the war in Syria. It originally had a somewhat more political lean to it but now it is solely dedicated to Syria's innocents. However, because of said previous political leanings I don't know if I should include it.
That sounds like advocacy and some schools may eat that up. It couldn't hurt to list that as an Advocation/Hobby or whatever.
Do you do anything just for fun?

Are you remunerated for you work? If so, I would put it under employment. If not, as a volunteer activity (like TAing a college class or teaching English to immigrants).

Drawing would be a more of a hobby, yes. If it's only a hobby there is no expectation for competence. ;)

We are considered volunteers but are given monetary gifts at the end of the year.

As for the drawing, that's good, because i have none :shrug:

That sounds like advocacy and some schools may eat that up. It couldn't hurt to list that as an Advocation/Hobby or whatever.
Do you do anything just for fun?

My fun is watching futurama reruns and, as of late, catching up with Mr. Robot. Sometimes working out (though rarely).

While I don't consider scouring the internet for who died/what was destroyed that day in Syria to be fun, the blog/twitter is something I am really passionate about. Would it be an appropriate subject for a secondary prompt response?

My fun is watching futurama reruns and, as of late, catching up with Mr. Robot. Sometimes working out (though rarely).

While I don't consider scouring the internet for who died/what was destroyed that day in Syria to be fun, the blog/twitter is something I am really passionate about. Would it be an appropriate subject for a secondary prompt response?
Whether you can use that as a response depends on the prompt.

"Describe a hobby or activity other than something in medicine, in which you have a keen interest. Why?"

I certainly wrote teaching as a hobby in one of my secondaries. Got the II.

Tutoring = extracurricular activity, non-clinical.

Hobbies: what we do for fun and/or to pass the time. Mine are reading, baking, and board wargaming, for example.

I'm not currently applying to med school, but I was looking over secondary applications for some schools and saw one of the questions asked about hobbies outside medicine.

My question is; does teaching count as a hobby? I am currently an Arabic TA at a private weekend school, and I plan to join something similar to Peer Health Exchange that my school's pre med club has. It's pretty much the only non-med thing I do in my free time. I've been volunteering in this private institute since I was in middle school (first as an office aid, now as a TA). Can I put that down as my hobby? I also like to draw when I have the time but I'm not very good at it...

Would appreciate any help.

Reactions: 1 user