Is Teaching mandatory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenaccept

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need advice for

1) Is Teaching mandatory activity for application process

2) Do we need volunteering hours outside of hospital setting for non clinical volunteering hours

3) is volunteering as a scribe with no certification in an outpatient clinic considered as clinical hours

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Need advice for

2) Do we need volunteering hours outside of hospital setting for non clinical volunteering hours

3) is volunteering as a scribe with no certification in an outpatient clinic considered as clinical hours
1. no not mandatory
2. yes any volunteering in the hospital will be seen as clinical volunteering. Do some volunteering outside of healthcare in your community.
3. yes this would be clinical but please only do this at a free/ community clinic. My college town had a lot of offices that used volunteer scribes just so they would not have to pay anyone. Basically, they just took advantage of premeds.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. no not mandatory
2. yes any volunteering in the hospital will be seen as clinical volunteering. Do some volunteering outside of healthcare in your community.
3. yes this would be clinical but please only do this at a free/ community clinic. My college town had a lot of offices that used volunteer scribes just so they would not have to pay anyone. Basically, they just took advantage of premeds.
Thanks for the reply.
Is free clinic necessary since I could not find any free clinic looking for scribes in our area and tried scribe America as well.

1. Most medical applicants have done some teaching and there is a place for discussing your teaching experience on the AMCAS application.

2. 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering to an underserved community is considered a minimum.

3. 150 hours of clinical experience where you interact with patients in a face to face setting is considered a minimum.

Last edited:
Need advice for

No

Yes

Yes

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply.
Is free clinic necessary since I could not find any free clinic looking for scribes in our area and tried scribe America as well.
no. but my thought on this is scribeAmerica exploits premeds enough, doing it for free seems like a crime. If there are other opportunities to volunteer in the community, and you need clinical exposure might as well get paid for it.

Thanks for the reply.
Some schools are beginning to consider pharmacy tech jobs clinical. Might be worth looking in to. The pay is better. I did it for a few years and a few schools let me list it as clinical when I applied 2019-20. I suspect that number is growing. If start at a retail pharmacy like walgreen's they'll train you.

I have been helping my classmates since last year in explaining concepts and clearing doubts over the phone(due to Covid). I have been spending lot of time though its not a paid job. Can I list this as peer tutoring in the activities section?

I have been helping my classmates since last year in explaining concepts and clearing doubts over the phone(due to Covid). I have been spending lot of time though its not a paid job. Can I list this as peer tutoring in the activities section?

In my opinion, you can count this as peer tutoring.