is testing 8/1 and submitting to all schools 8/16 too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My app is verified to one throwaway school, but I am not scoring where I want on my MCAT and I am signed up to test in two weeks. I want to pull up by at least 2-3 points, I think having an additional two weeks will really help solidify final topics and set me up better for the test.

Unfortunately, I have a prior 505 MCAT, but 3.9 GPA, tons of ECs, some pretty unique experiences that many advisors have said will help me stand out.

I definitely am not going to take the exam if I don't feel ready, so I am considering whether to give myself a little more time and test 8/1 and apply this cycle or if it would be smarter to apply next year instead so as to not be at a "late" disadvantage? any other cycle, 8/1 is way too late...but everything is so uncertain that i don't know if this would be considered late and put me at a disadvantage

Members don't see this ad.

Why don’t you consider applying to DO schools? 505 should be enough for them. I’m not against delaying your application cycle too because medical schools aren’t going anywhere, and your application will be stronger.

My app is verified to one throwaway school, but I am not scoring where I want on my MCAT and I am signed up to test in two weeks. I want to pull up by at least 2-3 points, I think having an additional two weeks will really help solidify final topics and set me up better for the test.

Unfortunately, I have a prior 505 MCAT, but 3.9 GPA, tons of ECs, some pretty unique experiences that many advisors have said will help me stand out.

I definitely am not going to take the exam if I don't feel ready, so I am considering whether to give myself a little more time and test 8/1 and apply this cycle or if it would be smarter to apply next year instead so as to not be at a "late" disadvantage? any other cycle, 8/1 is way too late...but everything is so uncertain that i don't know if this would be considered late and put me at a disadvantage
You'd be fine even in a regular year, and will definitely be fine this year. Submitting on 8/16 will still give you plenty of time to get most secondaries in by Laobr Day, assuming you have pre-written some of them, and you should have everything in by mid-September. You'll be fine, with everything being as backed up as it is this year. This is the very reason why AAMC is reporting scores in two weeks!!