Is the a maximum for units attempted for GradPLUS Loans?

Started by nursingmom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nursingmom

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well the title says it all. I am close to the 150% units for undergrad work but don't yet have a degree because I changed my major a few times. I plan on applying to a five year international program or a six year one if I can. However would I only be eligible for 150% of units for a typical four year program? In which case I could not repeat a. Single class or take any summer electives etc.
It's late so I hope I worded this question right. I have spent an hour or so googling to find an answer and I have only turned up sites that confirm the 150% limit for subsidized loans...
 
I'm not sure I understand your situation. What kind of program are you applying to? Pharmacy, medicine, undergraduate, etc.?

GradPLUS loans don't have many restrictions like undergraduate loans do, however you do need to qualify for financial and be making satisfactory academic progress in your graduate program (ie. maintain an 80% GPA and finish a certain % of credits attempted, finish your program in a certain timeframe, etc.) and you also need to pass a credit check. If you are starting a new graduate program, your clock will start over and your undergrad stuff won't matter anymore.
 
I am applying to several five year medical school programs in the uk and Ireland.
I started out in college not knowing what I was majoring in and did two years of general studies at community college, then decided to be a nurse and did two years of nursing pure requisites at community college. This made me reach the maximum for undead units despite nevere getting a degree. Then I quit school and had a family, lol.
Now I am certain I want to study medicine in Ireland but would settle for the UK. My goal is to do my internship and residency abroad and hopefully get a work visa upon graduation and remain.
So basically I am wanting to know if for the grad plus loans the maximum units attempted is 150% of the typical four year program? Or would it be starting over when I get accepted into a medical school?
I guess the units attempted would be consider timeframe. I just want to make sure I can fund all five years of a program given my situation when most med schools are four years. Okay I hope I made more sense this time but I think I'm eve confusing myself now, lol.
 
Ok, that makes sense. I think the program would need to be completed in a 150% timeframe for that program, ie. if the program is a 5 year medical school, you would need to complete in 7.5 years, if it is say a 6 year pharmacy (4+2) program, then you would have 9 years, etc. Any undergraduate timeframe would be reset once you start graduate school. And technically, it is usually school specific anyways. For example, if you max out your timeframe at one school, you could start at another school and the clock would probably reset.

I'm no expert on international schooling, but wouldn't the school have to be accredited in the US in order to get federal financial aid? Maybe other countries have their own FA systems set up, but you'd have to check with each individual country I would think.