Is the HCSP Navy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the HCSP only a Navy program? Anyone either is currently on it or has been on it, have any pros and cons to share?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the HCSP only a Navy program? Anyone either is currently on it or has been on it, have any pros and cons to share?

Yes, it is currently only a Navy program.

I was awarded this scholarship, and commissioned in November. I am very happy with my choice to apply for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very nervous and excited at the same time because I hear the HSCP program is very competitive. I am prior Air Force and am actually a Medical Lab Tech for about 9 years. I am pursuing a bachelors degree in this field. I am also hoping to be accepted into the Navy's HSCP program as well, based on my health services career. My GPA right now is 3.2 and I am a little active in my community. Really, how competitive is it? What would make them choose one person over another? If you don't mind sharing, what credentials and things did you have that were better than any other applicants. Any pointers and advice would help! Thanks in advance for the info.

I am very nervous and excited at the same time because I hear the HSCP program is very competitive. I am prior Air Force and am actually a Medical Lab Tech for about 9 years. I am pursuing a bachelors degree in this field. I am also hoping to be accepted into the Navy's HSCP program as well, based on my health services career. My GPA right now is 3.2 and I am a little active in my community. Really, how competitive is it? What would make them choose one person over another? If you don't mind sharing, what credentials and things did you have that were better than any other applicants. Any pointers and advice would help! Thanks in advance for the info.

I'm also on the HSCP and so far have found it to be a great fit for my situation. (1 - in state tuition, 2 - Entire family covered by TRICARE {althought the HMO style plans really PISS me off, anyone wanting nationalized healthcare is an ignoramus}, 3 - Uncertain whether I want to make Military a career or not.) I had an 18/20 DAT/PAT and a 3.4 GPA 3.0 Science GPA. If you apply EARLY you'll likely get it IMO.

I think all the scholarship programs are pretty competitive at this point. With the uncertainty of the economy and the lack of assurance going forward with a derelict as our President. I think many look at getting out of school with under $100,000 as a huge BONUS. It's very difficult to justify $300,000-$500,000 dollars in debt with the way things have been shaping out in our economy. This is a nice alternative for some peace of mind.

Could you give me a run down summery of HCSP? I heard that is was similar to the Army National Guard program. Getting a salary to attend school and what happens after graduation? Active duty?

I did my own math, and HCSP works great if you have more than yourself (i.e. at least 1 dependent) AND if you attend a STATE school. Because HCSP provides full dental/medical coverage, you'd save literally thousands of dollars over time during you're in school. The salary you'd receive while HCSP is just good enough to pay for a STATE tuition.

On the other hand, if you're planning on attending PRIVATE schools in urban locations, such as Boston and NYU, HPSP is much better than HCSP. Here I am assuming about $60K/year for state and $90K/year for private (tuition + living expenses, etc). Believe me, my estimates are very real. HCPS will pay you about $50K a year, so you can easily figure it out. I thought about it a lot, and decided to take HPSP.
:smuggrin:

Its great if you have prior service because you get paid more, and your time counts toward retirement.

HSCP makes sense(cents) on a combination of three accounts.

1) You have a family/dependents
2) You attend a state school AND receive in-state tuition that's under ~$25,000 a year.
3) You have prior military service and/or plan to make military dentistry a career.

If you meet any or all of those criteria, then the HSCP is a more financially beneficial program for you, if not, you're probably better off with the HPSP. If you're unsure, then do the HPSP, as it's close between the HSCP and HPSP if your schooling is closer to $25,000 a year than if your tuition is near $10,000 a year