Is the interview process a formality or a deciding factor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blbx93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview yesterday, and I feel like I did not really impress the interviewers. It was not a horrible interview, but it was far from spectacular. I have a 4.0 according to AADSAS and had an academic average of 23 and a pat of 22 on my DAT. Do you think a lackluster interview can outweigh my academic achievement?

Members don't see this ad.

If you made them feel like you are not a good candidate then of course it would out weigh your scores.

interviews are deciding factors. many people are interviewed but are not granted admission every year....

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess he is asking b/c his GPA and DAT scores are really good. For some schools, after you get your interview, that is the only deciding factor. For some other schools, the score you get after adding up your gpa, dat, ec, interview scores will be the deciding factor.

I think it depends on the school, but as other said, I would say it is a deciding factor, as it puts a face and person with an application.

With really good stats, I think coming across as a 'real' person that can relate well with others is important, not a introverted person that has no personality. (Not at all saying smart people are like this, but anyone that excels above and beyond the average has the stereotype of being an awkward nerd).

Someone that has more 'middle-of-the-road' stats may have to do more 'convincing' that they are a good candidate.

I'm sure that you did much better than you think you did, just relax now and wait!:thumbup:

Pre-dents are typically people persons (they had to shadow, volunteer, etc.).

I think that unless one completely bombed an interview (overly rude, spacey, etc.), then the person would be in poor standing.

But for instance, if you had an "average" interview, things couldn't have swayed too far away against your favor, especially if you were a very early interviewer. :xf:

Anyone care to think otherwise? :idea:

As the director of my masters program said...."interviews can affect your application positively.....VERY LITTLE......interviews can affect your application negatively.....VERY MUCH"
Its your chance to show them how you shine......dschools are looking for candidates who fit into their mold.....are you going to be comfortable there for 4 years and are they going to be comfortable with you for 4 years?.....once you get the interview you're acceptable to them on paper......its all about how you and the interview committee interacted........

I would agree with Pinhi on this one....after you go to an interview, your stats are out of the picture...its mostly about your personality from then on...how well you present yourself and how good your communication skills are..after all you will be entering a profession where you will need to interact with people from all backgrounds...and you better know how to get your point across clearly..

I know for ASDOH, your interview is pretty much the only deciding factor...from what I hear.

I had my very first interview last Friday, and the director of admissions actually told us that all of our stats were good enough for acceptance. He also said that the interview was not a competition amongst the interviewees; it was just a way for them to get to know us. :)

I had my very first interview last Friday, and the director of admissions actually told us that all of our stats were good enough for acceptance. He also said that the interview was not a competition amongst the interviewees; it was just a way for them to get to know us. :)

That is kinda cute.

Haha. Cute lie.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know for ASDOH, your interview is pretty much the only deciding factor...from what I hear.

looks like i'm not getting in there then. i recently interviewed there and felt that my interview was nothing special at all.

looks like i'm not getting in there then. i recently interviewed there and felt that my interview was nothing special at all.

Ahh don't be so hopeless. You just never know with ASDOH, I guess. Do you have any other interviews?

i have to say that this is sooo correct....its hard for interviewees to get past being sooo nervous and anxious.....(obviously)....but when u get down to the nitty gritty.....its all about fit......
Its like they're interviewing you and you're interviewing them......once you realize this nervousness and the feeling of "oh please....i just wanna get in" .....kinda goes away.....and you see it as......"will this curriculum really fit with who i am and my personality...do i like the faculty here?...etc, etc.....

I had an interview yesterday, and I feel like I did not really impress the interviewers. It was not a horrible interview, but it was far from spectacular. I have a 4.0 according to AADSAS and had an academic average of 23 and a pat of 22 on my DAT. Do you think a lackluster interview can outweigh my academic achievement?

Depending on the school...
MANY of state schools depend pretty heavy on the interview. I know Buffalo and michigan are like that. Once you get invited for the interview, your GPA and DAT and everything else is out the window, the only thing they care about from THAT point forward is how well you impressed the interviewers.

On the other hand, some schools (Detroit mercy - private) is a little different, they interview about 170 applicants, and accept like..... many of them lol, but many don't matriculate cause their tuition is insane (instate AND out-of-state = same tuition)

this sounds like Dr. Polk from MWU-AZ

At all of the schools i have been to interviews at so far they have made it pretty well known that everyone who received an interview was well qualified. At the interview point, everyone is pretty much on the same level and the interview is a big deciding factor. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. You may have impressed them more than you think. If not, im sure your grades will get you several interviews and you will know what to work on for the next. good luck!