Is the optional social really optional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Condylotomy

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got interviews to two residency programs, both of which I am highly interested in.

Program 1 has an interview on a hypothetical Thursday.
Program 2 has an interview on Friday with an optional social Thursday night.

Program 1 is too far to fly and make the social for Program 2 on Thursday night.

How bad of a look will it be if I miss the social? I know programs say it’s “optional” but I’ve always thought those that skipped are generally not taken seriously.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why don't you call the program and ask them?

I faced a similar dilema. I called the program (Montefiore) and the secretary told me that it was mandatory......she said it's a 2-day event. So I had to cancel the interview because it was on the same interview day with another program (Louisville). I later got accepted to Louisville.
 
Last edited:
Counterpoint: the only school whose social I missed due to an interview at another school was the school I go to now.