Is the Pharm.D recognized in Europe and Canada? How about internationall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjeangi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the Pharm.D recognized in Europe and Canada? How about internationally?

Basically, what I'm asking is where can I go with my Pharm.D degree...(When I get one of course ;) )

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know about Canada, or the individual countries within Europe. In the UK, the PharmD degree is seen as equivalent to the UK undergraduate degree - the MPharm. However, if you want to work in the UK and you're licensed in the US you need to do a 1 year "conversion" course at a UK pharmacy school (about $15K, I think), and then spend a year doing what is known as a "pre-registration" year - basically, it's like a training year (kind of similar to 4th year in the US but its only at one site for the whole year and you get paid - although not a lot, but better than here where you get paid squat and still have to pay uni. fees).

The American pharmD is recognized in Canada. It'll take a few months to get licensed, though:

To be eligible to apply for a Certificate of Registration as a Pharmacist you must:
- Successfully complete a minimum of 12 weeks of SPT Internship and
- Pass the Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence Examination, and
- Pass the PEBC Qualifying Examination Parts I and II

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Europe and Canada pharmacist pay comparable to US?

i think a good number of countries in europe recognize pharm.d but some these countries still have the MPharm degree as their entree lvl degree but u should be fine if u plan to move but u gotta do some extra schooling though to prepare for that specific country's pharmacy i'd think

I have pharma D in India. Is this recognized in US or do i need to take any courses further to be qualified as a pharmacist.

I have pharma D in India. Is this recognized in US or do i need to take any courses further to be qualified as a pharmacist.

I have a relative who moved from Pak who has to take an exam, as far as I know, before she can practice. I don't think it's too hard of a process, but I'm not certain about the details.

Is Europe and Canada pharmacist pay comparable to US?
"Europe" is not a country. :laugh: In Germany, it's generally comparable to the US. However, the market is very tight and they don't recognize US degree.

About 10 years ago Middle East was all the rage for US-trained pharmacists...

I've heard this from other rphs. Apparently they were paying like double salary or something but required 2+yr contracts or something

Interesting. I asked a pharmacist from Saudi Arabia yesterday how much they make and he said ~$35,000. But this is Saudi trained pharmacist. Idk about American trained pharmacist.