Is the THESIS worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am making my listing of medical schools I want to attend by looking in the MSAR. There are alot of school I'm interested in like Duke and Case Western, but these schools require a thesis for you to graduate. Now I've done research, but I really truly must admit that I don't like it, especially writing papers. Is there any advangtage to writing this bloody thesis and is it hard to actually do? How much of your time does it take away from studying for classes? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at a school that requires a thesis and it's really not a problem. It can be anything from a glorified term paper to a 100-page treatise. I am not a fan of extended writing projects, but am so happy at my school that the thesis is just a minor pain in the ass :)

Don't let it stop you from going to a place you like.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do research, and the school builds in time and support for research, it might be a nice thing. On the other hand, setting up research yourself might be more flexible and look a little better.

doctajay said:
Hello everyone. I am making my listing of medical schools I want to attend by looking in the MSAR. There are alot of school I'm interested in like Duke and Case Western, but these schools require a thesis for you to graduate. Now I've done research, but I really truly must admit that I don't like it, especially writing papers. Is there any advangtage to writing this bloody thesis and is it hard to actually do? How much of your time does it take away from studying for classes? Thanks.

Duke's thesis shouldn't really be too much of a problem, seeing as you have an entire year to do the background research for it. Duke students do basic sciences in 1 year, clinicals in 2nd year, lots of different stuff (research, MPH, start a PhD, etc.) in their third year, and then finish up with a typical fourth year.

doctajay said:

The Case thesis is incredibly flexible. They give you four months to work exclusively on your project, and you're free to make more time if you want. The topic can be anything: public health, clinical, lab work, whatever. My class will be the first to do it, but I really don't think it will be that hard.