Is there a benefit in being a re-applicant??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CVPA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that I would not apply this year after I got my MCAT scores because they were just too low. I realize that ADCOMs look at the whole picture, but trust me when I say, they ARE too low this year. It's been ten years since I had the basic sciences so I just need more time to prepare. I am re-taking Orgo and Physics this fall as well as TPR in the Spring.

Anyway, the question I have is, Is there a benefit in being a re-applicant? If I apply with low MCAT scores and they see an improvement the following year (which they will, trust me), wouldn't that show a certain determination and dedication that could be advantageous?

What do you think??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this is a problem for you, but I would keep in mind how much it costs just to apply!

they will see all your mcat scores even if you only apply once, if don't feel confident in your chances I would say wait a year, its not worth all the hassle.

To directly answer your question: I do not think there is a benefit in being a reapplicant, if anything I would say it is a negative, the logic being "we rejected him/her last time, so unless the application is drastically different, reject again." good luck with the mcat and your decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by coop:
•they will see all your mcat scores even if you only apply once, if don't feel confident in your chances I would say wait a year, its not worth all the hassle.

To directly answer your question: I do not think there is a benefit in being a reapplicant, if anything I would say it is a negative, the logic being "we rejected him/her last time, so unless the application is drastically different, reject again." good luck with the mcat and your decision•

I don't think I quite agree with this. As much as an adcom may be thinking that (if they even notice) you will be a year wiser. All of this won't seem so foriegn. You will know the ins and outs having been through the process.

I think it is all a matter of how you spin it the second time around. If you have a lot more to say, I.E. have made some great changes, and you sell those, I think you will erase any "didn't I already reject you" thoughts. I don't remember the stat off the top of my head, but a fair amount (I want to say over half) of those who re-apply get in the second time around.

I also agree with the first reply that it is expensive. Not only monitarily but emotionally and timewise too.

How low really is low CVPA?

mj

as a reapplicant who spoke with a few adcoms after being rejected the first time around, i can tell you that simply being a reapplicant isn't going to help you out at all. in fact, i was flat-out told that adcoms don't even want to see your app cross their desk again unless you've made drastic changes to it (not just an improved MCAT score, unless there is really nothing else on your app to improve, which is very rare).

i'm a little confused: are you saying that you were going to apply NOW for the first time and that you would be a reapplicant NEXT year? if your MCAT scores are really that low (how low is low, anyway), then i wouldn't bother to apply, if you're going into the process assuming that your scores are low enough to get you rejected. being a reapplicant the following year isn't going to be any kind of advantage, plus the fact that some schools limit the number of times they'll let you apply.

i'd just wait a year, retake the MCAT next spring, and then apply next year for the entering class of 2003. the above posters are right: this process is unbelievably expensive so it isn't worth it to put the money in now if you already think you're going to have to do it again. sure, strange (but happy!) things have been known to happen, but one year out of your life isn't going to set you back too much.

good luck with whatever you decide!