is there a difference between a B or C in dschool?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yangwang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it seems that once you make a B in a big course, you can't specialize anymore, and many people have said there is no difference between the person who ranks 40 and the person who ranked last, they are both dentists. So my question is, once you know you are getting a B in a big course, is there no poiont in trying to get a B and just go for the C?

Members don't see this ad.

So, it seems that once you make a B in a big course, you can't specialize anymore
Did someone in your class tell you that? Cause they are obviously trying to lower your class rank.

Total BS. If you want to specialize, do the best you can. Not everyone who specializes has straight As.

If you are set on being a GP, getting straight Cs won't really matter. If you want to get into a good GPR, you should try for at least Bs.

Haha, wow, that's great. Not every specialty is about grades - now that boards are going pass/fail, it's going to become a lot more about you showing interest in it and your recommendations (as per one of the residency directors at my school). So many people at dental schools all over the country know each other, and it's all about connections with many of them. I was in a specialty clinic 2 weeks ago and I was overhearing a phone conversation that a faculty member was having very loudly in the next cubicle over, it went like this

"Hey there (name), how's it going? Are we going to be seeing you at the next fishing trip? Great, great - anyways, I've got this girl (name) applying to our program, and she's from your school - have you heard anything about her, or has she shown much interest? Oh, not really? Well, I guess she's not getting in then."

So, it wouldn't matter how good that applicant's grades or test scores were, she won't be getting into that residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it seems that once you make a B in a big course, you can't specialize anymore, and many people have said there is no difference between the person who ranks 40 and the person who ranked last, they are both dentists. So my question is, once you know you are getting a B in a big course, is there no poiont in trying to get a B and just go for the C?

Come on, a 'B', even in a big course, obviously won't drop your rank from #1 to #40 or anything. I do think grades are definitely a critical part of a specialty application (especially for the most competitive specialties) but you can make up the ground you've lost in this one course if specializing is your endgame. Your GPA is based off of many, many courses. Just try and do the best you can in the others and stay motivated; dental school is more of a marathon than a sprint.

This is the craziest thing I've ever heard.

Are people just getting more neurotic as years pass?

Haha, wow, that's great. Not every specialty is about grades - now that boards are going pass/fail, it's going to become a lot more about you showing interest in it and your recommendations (as per one of the residency directors at my school). So many people at dental schools all over the country know each other, and it's all about connections with many of them. I was in a specialty clinic 2 weeks ago and I was overhearing a phone conversation that a faculty member was having very loudly in the next cubicle over, it went like this

"Hey there (name), how's it going? Are we going to be seeing you at the next fishing trip? Great, great - anyways, I've got this girl (name) applying to our program, and she's from your school - have you heard anything about her, or has she shown much interest? Oh, not really? Well, I guess she's not getting in then."

So, it wouldn't matter how good that applicant's grades or test scores were, she won't be getting into that residency program.

that's a very interesting point. thank you.