Interested in Ortho -- do I still have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futureOrtho2027

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently D2 in a graded and ranked school with a great reputation. Unfortunately, I love ortho and so far my grades have not kept high enough compared to what I see as necessary for ortho.
GPA is just under 3.4, rank is at 50th percentile of the class. I have e-board positions in two clubs including the ortho club at my school as well as have done research with the ortho department this past summer.
Give it to me straight -- am I screwed? Is there a strong possibility I'll need to do a GPR/work for a year before I can get in? What else should I be doing aside from working on my grades?

Thanks!
 
I am currently D2 in a graded and ranked school with a great reputation. Unfortunately, I love ortho and so far my grades have not kept high enough compared to what I see as necessary for ortho.
GPA is just under 3.4, rank is at 50th percentile of the class. I have e-board positions in two clubs including the ortho club at my school as well as have done research with the ortho department this past summer.
Give it to me straight -- am I screwed? Is there a strong possibility I'll need to do a GPR/work for a year before I can get in? What else should I be doing aside from working on my grades?

Work on your grades, show steady improvement. You may need to do GPR or AEGD which is fine it'll make you more well rounded. Are there opportunities to do more research and get published from it or else present a poster? That would be my advice.
 
Work on your grades, show steady improvement. You may need to do GPR or AEGD which is fine it'll make you more well rounded. Are there opportunities to do more research and get published from it or else present a poster? That would be my advice.