Is there a limit to how many times we can write the DATs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a limit to how many times we can write the DATs? Would my application look weak if I wrote DAT many time even though the score improves each time?

I saw on UoP's website that they require special documents from students if they write the DAT more than twice. Does other schools require the same? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

in the us you can take it 3times

So, US dental schools look at the best score out of first 3? How about I take 2 Canadian DAT already? Does that mean I can only take one American DAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the US and Canadian DATs are separate. The limit of writing the DATs 3 times before requesting special permission to write it a 4th, 5th etc. time is only for the US. So that means you can write the US DATs 3 times and Canadian is unlimited.
Hope that helps :)

So, US dental schools look at the best score out of first 3? How about I take 2 Canadian DAT already? Does that mean I can only take one American DAT?
Why the hell would you want to write the Canadian DAT?!?!

Double fury. ^_^

[EDIT]
Aww, no more double post. :'(

because I am a Canadian.

I am relieved that I can write the Canadian DAT unlimited times (I know for sure), and I can still write US 3 times (passionfruit confirmed).

btw, passionfruit, where did you get ur source of info? Is there a official website that talks about this issue? Thanks!

Here's a novel idea: why don't you just actually prepare enough to do good the first time instead of thinking about how many times you can screw up?

Here's a novel idea: why don't you just actually prepare enough to do good the first time instead of thinking about how many times you can screw up?

:idea: It's kinda true in a way... unless your scores are about to expire, there shouldn't be a reason to rewrite, if you prepared well enough the first time.

why would anyone want to take that test more than once. the thought of taking it a second time gives me heart palpitations. besides if you have to take the test more than three times i would seriously reconsider your career choice.