1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is there a mnemomic or easy way to remember the parts of the brain/what they do?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by atomi, May 28, 2008.

1. atomi

atomi Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How important is this?

#1 atomi, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would add cerebellum and frontal lobe and then your good. The chances that this will come up is rare, but why not know it if it takes 10 seconds to look it up on wikipedia.

3. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    you would need to break up the brainstem into its three sections (midbrain, pons, medulla) since they all have very different functions. don't forget about the major lobes of the brain either. you dont need to know the nitty gritty details, just the general function of each.

for example, occipital lobe = vision, parietal = sensation, temporal = hearing/smell, frontal = motor movement and higher level reasoning. that will be more than enough to answer any question they'd ask you about it. you can do the same thing for the other parts of the brain. just make flashcards it shouldnt take that long to memorize.

one thing that always helped me remember cerebellum is that it controls equilibrium and balance......bellum...balance...bellum...ballance....bellum....balance. it rolls off the tongue well.

4. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    10+ Year Member

Hypothalamus - endocrine (Just remember that and know the endocrine system)
    Cerebellum - order (in terms of space/orientation kinda like the ears - also, if you remember Power Puff Girls, the mayors aid was Sara Bellum and she always made sure everything was fine while the mayor acted like a goofball)
    Cerebral Cortex - if you're still asking this after studying, god help you :p

Medulla - breathing/heart rate - involuntaries
    Pons - Relay between medulla and telencephalon (more on that below)as well as respiration (fun fact - you can actually cut certain segments of the brain stem off and as long as the medulla remains, respiration/heart rate still remains fully functional. This was how the pons/medulla's functions were solidified.)
    Midbrain - relay
    Thalamus - relay, sleep/wake, arousal
    Diencephalon - thalamus/hypothalamus
    Telencephalon - Cerebral Cortex

The MCAT doesn't really strive on killing you with the brain with functions of the brain (unless they're discretes), but focuses more on the physiology. I didn't have any mnemomic for these but just memorized them. sorry. It's not terribly difficult.

5. atomi

atomi Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hah, I have no idea what the cerebral cortex is. I've been making 10-12s on BS pretty much just by interpreting the passages. I was always told not to bother memorizing too much.

edit: I just realized the cerebral cortex is the same thing as what i have been calling the cerebrum. Ok, I'm not that dumb!!

6. Dhoot7

2+ Year Member

So we don't really need to focus on the prosencephalon ddividingto form telencephalon and etc? The subdivisions of the embryonic brain are really getting me