Is there a place where you should explain low mcat score in app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY_Med

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if it is something that should be addressed in your application? My work hours got nuts when I transferred to the COVID ICU and worked 60 hour weeks, which definitely did make my prep difficult. do I think it is a good excuse? Not really, and I still think I should have, and had the potential, to do much much better. But should it be addressed?

I would speculate this whole cycle is going to be riddled with sob stories about coronavirus affecting this and that, so is it something that I should just let be?

Members don't see this ad.

Most secondaries have a "How has COVID impacted you" kinda question where you can bring this up. Make sure not to make it look it you are shifting blame!

I was just wondering if it is something that should be addressed in your application? My work hours got nuts when I transferred to the COVID ICU and worked 60 hour weeks, which definitely did make my prep difficult. do I think it is a good excuse? Not really, and I still think I should have, and had the potential, to do much much better. But should it be addressed?

I would speculate this whole cycle is going to be riddled with sob stories about coronavirus affecting this and that, so is it something that I should just let be?
No, I don't think it's a good excuse. The MCAT is just as much an exam that test judgment as it does knowledge. It is not a good idea to take a high-stakes career to send an exam when you are not at your best.

In hindsight you should have canceled the exam.

Reactions: 1 users