Is there a "proper" way to tell a school you aren't taking their acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't let us down. Tell us you went with one of the better suggestions. ;) :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I went with I Like Food's response. Picture attatched and all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Declining to attend 3 schools was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. LECOM- Seton Hill was the most painful because it is in an amazing location with low tuition. However, the lack of a cadaver lab, facilities in the basement of the library, and lack of simulators were enough to let them loose. I also turned down PCOM and WVSOM.

I didn't even know how to tell them that I wouldn't be attending. So, I copied from a few of my rejection letters.

Here's what I wrote:

I regret to inform you that I will not be attending X school. I received multiple acceptances, and unfortunately I can only attend one medical school. I can assure you that your school was carefully considered. There were many positive attributes to X including its location, hospital affiliates, and tuition. However, I am unable to attend because my personal goals more closely align with another school's mission.

Sincerely,

han14tra
AACOMAS ID: 789

I swear to god, if I ever get one of those rude administration + rejection combos, I'm taking a dump in a bag and sending it to them.

I've withdrawn from three interviews and two acceptances and haven't received a rude response yet. *Shrug*

And ILikeFood: there's a specific legitimate site that can do that for you. :laugh:

Has anyone here ever paid a deposit and then decided to go to another school? I've been accepted to 2 places, and I paid my deposit on one school, however I am definetly going to go with DMU if I get accepted there. Luckily both schools have a refund policy, but I have to write them a letter if I change my mind. I absolutely loved DMU and I honestly cannot envision myself anywhere else. I haven't been accepted **yet** and i'm hoping to get in; I'll hear back in 2 weeks, but in the mean time I wanted to keep my seat just in case I didn't get in. I hope the adcom wont be too upset if I ask for a refund......

I had to pay my deposit now otherwise I would have to have given up my seat in that school before hearing back from DMU. I think this is a wise decision, but I dont want to be hated at the other school.....

Has anyone here ever paid a deposit and then decided to go to another school? I've been accepted to 2 places, and I paid my deposit on one school, however I am definetly going to go with DMU if I get accepted there. Luckily both schools have a refund policy, but I have to write them a letter if I change my mind. I absolutely loved DMU and I honestly cannot envision myself anywhere else. I haven't been accepted **yet** and i'm hoping to get in; I'll hear back in 2 weeks, but in the mean time I wanted to keep my seat just in case I didn't get in. I hope the adcom wont be too upset if I ask for a refund......

I had to pay my deposit now otherwise I would have to have given up my seat in that school before hearing back from DMU. I think this is a wise decision, but I dont want to be hated at the other school.....

People do it all the time. If they have a refund policy, count your blessings! Oh, and don't worry about being hated at the other school. They won't remember your name after they send your refund.

I hope you hear good news from DMU!

i got busy and forgot to send letters denying DMU and KCUMB my presence for next year
but i think not paying the deposit is good enough for these schools
they probably dont want to spend 2 minutes reading through my letter to spend 10 seconds deleting me from their computer systems

i got busy and forgot to send letters denying DMU and KCUMB my presence for next year
but i think not paying the deposit is good enough for these schools
they probably dont want to spend 2 minutes reading through my letter to spend 10 seconds deleting me from their computer systems

You should send in a response. If not for the school, then do it for the students who's waitlisted. They would love to know as early as possible that they got in. :)

well if my deposit isn't in my dec 15th then they take away my acceptance

yeah thats what i figure
i really meant to write out letters to DMU as well as KCUMB because i really did like both schools
but i got really busy with work and research and volunteering that i kind of lost track of time

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to write letters. Just email them a short notice.

You should send in a response. If not for the school, then do it for the students who's waitlisted. They would love to know as early as possible that they got in. :)

On top of that, do it for students at your undergrad in following years. You still want the admin to look favorably (or at the least, not unfavorably) at the school you went to. They rememebr names

On top of that, do it for students at your undergrad in following years. You still want the admin to look favorably (or at the least, not unfavorably) at the school you went to. They rememebr names

I really don't think they would go so far as to judge a college based on one of its students...that's quite a generalization.

yeah, i highly doubt they care
its kind of similar to how some people think writing thank you letters to your interviewers helps somehow...

haha, I forgot all of my interviewers names after I walked out of the rooms.

Sometimes the interviewers would give you their business card or email (or both). If I had some way of recognizing who interviewed me, I'd usually just email them thanking them for their time when I got home. I wouldn't go so far as to send a thank you card though, lol.

Plenty. Apparently it works. *Shrug*

I most certainly think it works. But only if you can write about something meaningful in the letter that they did/ and continue to remember you by. I had someone email me back from one of the schools thanking me for my letter. I definately think they help.

At the very least, I don't know why someone wouldn't write one. If it *could* help your chances, why not?

you do realize that at 99% of schools the interviewer fills out forms about the student right after the interview and turns them into the admissions office?

you do realize that at 99% of schools the interviewer fills out forms about the student right after the interview and turns them into the admissions office?

don't they participate in the 'top secret' committee meeting too? I got this impression after one of my interviews. Maybe only their vote is what counts at the meeting though. eh, whatever. khen is probably right, if it *could* help why not?

yeah i suppose
it definitely would hurt your chances
by the way, i'm trying to figure out whats the proper way you tell a school that you *are* accepting their acceptance
/new thread?

Yes, but I also know (at most of the schools I interviewed at anyway) that a committee meets as well, later on to assess the sheets. Writing a letter may cause the interviewer to put an addendum in. Say the interviewers liked everyone. Said thank you note could help you out. As I already said, I wouldn't want to risk not taking a chance on something that maybe, possibly, potentially could help you out.

Plus, thank you notes are nice! But i'm also the girl who'g been giving Christmas MnM bags to the turnpike people since October 30th, because Charlie Manuel said Christmas came early.

yeah i suppose
it definitely would hurt your chances
by the way, i'm trying to figure out whats the proper way you tell a school that you *are* accepting their acceptance
/new thread?

I would imagine by writing out that fat check and sending it in.

yeah, i highly doubt they care
its kind of similar to how some people think writing thank you letters to your interviewers helps somehow...

people do this?

Its not so much that a thank you letter is going to be a deciding factor in your acceptace as it is a common courtesy. However at one school in particular, the current studnets told us over and over that , at least at this program, sending in thank you letters ABSOLUTELY makes a difference and they highly recommended doing it. At other schools I just sent quick emails, but at this one I actually sent in hand written thank you cards to both of my interviewers and the dean of admisisons. At another program, my interviewer (who was also the dean of admissions) responded and basically told me I was accepted, which was so sweet b/c I didnt have to wait the extra two weeks in suspense.

don't they participate in the 'top secret' committee meeting too? I got this impression after one of my interviews. Maybe only their vote is what counts at the meeting though. eh, whatever. khen is probably right, if it *could* help why not?

Yes often times the do. At the end of one of my interviews I was told flat out "I'll be presenting your application and my impressions to the comittee in about a month."