Medical Is there a reason I haven't received any interviews at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is so much unknown to this process and randomness, but I am trying to understand where there could be problems in my application as I have no interview invites, no VITA and two rejections (UCLA and UCSF). I have a 3.9 sGPA/3.87 cGPA, 515 MCAT (science major/philosophy minor) traditional applicant, white male at T20 public univ. My LORs have been solid, PI from lab at top research univ, and 5 science profs who all knew me and offered to write recs. One offered to reach out on my behalf, but I told him I don't think that is allowed or would be appropriate. I applied to 30+ schools (completed by mid-Aug) with a good mix of reaches, targets and below targets based on MSAR data. I have posters, publication (co-author), hospital volunteering (250+ hours) w/patient contact, 1200+ hours of research, tutoring, honors/awards, 75+ non-clinical community service (senior center/nursing homes). My essays were reviewed by my pre-med advisors and PI who said that my application is very solid and that I'll have multiple interviews. Obviously, no one can predict anything and I understand that well, I would like to figure out what about my application has resulted in no interviews.
It's still early in the cycle, and you may get a new view invite tomorrow, or in March.

Your weakness appears to be the low hours of non-clinical volunteering. So that's what you need to be bulking up on right now.

Suggestions for the COVID-19 era include Meals on Wheels, election poll worker, (which is normally done by seniors, ) food banks, or checking in with your local houses of worship.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for asking. I applied 40% reach schools and the remaining 60% were target and below target schools. I wanted to add more below target, but my advisor said that so many would yield protect especially since my application is heavily research focused and he did not think would fit the mission. Do I need to retake the MCAT? Realistically, I don't see myself getting a 520+, which is probably required for the top research schools where I applied. I applied to the research focused (e.g. Pitt, Hofstra, Rochester, Stony Brook, Cincinnati, Iowa, Wake Forest, Tufts, Jefferson, etc). Do any schools ever offer feedback on an applicant (who isn't given an II) at the end of the cycle? Thank you.

Do not retake the MCAT. Would show poor judgement on your part.

Your GPA and MCAT are solid. There are myriad reasons you could not be getting an interview. Personal statement, low non-clinical volunteering hours, something on your application that offended someone, who knows? You may want to print out your application and get advice from someone you trust about whether anything is off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently had my PI in my research lab (at T10 program) look over my application and Personal Statement. She said there were no "red flags". I trust her as she was on adcom of top school. I also have had some people who were in med admissions when they were in med school (recent grads) look it over and a premed advisor at my school. Everyone has said it's a solid application and I "should get interviews". Hopefully when the cycle is over, (or sooner) I will be able to obtain some more specific feedback that will help me as a reapplicant. Thank you for your comments. I appreciate it.
It's an Olympic level event. What was your school list? You might have been aiming too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.