Medical Is there a reason I haven't received any II / interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated college in 2017 with a 3.65 GPA / 3.33 sGPA and a degree in Cell Bio and Neuroscience with a minor in Psychology. I took the MCAT that summer (sept 2017) and received a 511. I have not taken it again.
I have ties to / residence in NJ and NY.
In college, I participated in research in behavioral neuroscience, honors courses, and graduate courses in science. I volunteered at the public library and with my pre-med fraternity and social sorority. I puppy-sat for our service-dogs in training program at our school. I was very involved on campus, but did not have explicit leadership roles.
Between then and now, I have worked as a scribe at small hospitals in NJ and a research coordinator at a large school/teaching hospital in NY. I have confirmed my interest and passion for medicine, while getting to know myself better. I have worked on an administrative team to organize the hospital's dept of medicine COVID response. I have volunteered with the organization NY Cares.
Recently, my paper (which I am first author on) was published in a medical journal, and the administrative COVID team I am on has reassembled in preparation for a second spike. I sent out a letter update on these topics to all schools which accepted one.

I applied to the following schools:
-Albany
-Einstein
-BU (pre-II R)
-Cooper Medical School at Rowan
-Hofstra/Northwell Health
-Emory
-Quinnipiac
-Geisinger
-Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
-LSU at New Orleans
-MSU (rejected)
-NYU Long Island
-Penn State (placed on "continue to review" list)
-Perelman @ UPenn
-U Vermont
-Rutgers NJMS
-Rutgers RWJ
-SKMC @ Thomas Jefferson University
-SUNY Upstate
-Alpert School @ Brown
-Tufts
-U Illinois Chicago
-Miller School @ U Miami
-UPitt
-U Rochester
-Virginia Tech Carilion
-Wash U

I submitted my primary in early July because I didn't realize it would take 7 weeks to process. My secondaries were submitted in late August/ early September.
Please let me know realistically how much of a chance I have at this point in the cycle.

Thank you!
It is very odd you haven't received a single II so far. Are you sure you have no glaring red flags on your app? If not, I would honestly say the biggest reason you haven't gotten any invites is your lower sGPA. It is great you have confirmed your interest in medicine, but medical schools are combing through a ton of applications and they use numbers to screen at the end of the day. So you maybe be getting screened out unfortunately. I would give it till the end of December/early January. If by then you haven't got any responses I would start thinking about next course of action including reapplying or pursuing an SMP to increase your sGPA further.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your hours for clinical/non-clinical volunteering?

Your sGPA is low and may be the reason for the lack of interviews (if your hours are okay). If you have to reapply, I would work on increasing your sGPA with post-bac and/or applying to DO. If okay with DO, you may not need to do the post-bac as your GPA is closer to ok for DO.

I applied to the following schools:

-Einstein
-BU (pre-II R)
-Cooper Medical School at Rowan
-Hofstra/Northwell Health
-Geisinger
-Icahn SOM at Mount Sinai
-LSU at New Orleans
-MSU (rejected)
-Penn State (placed on "continue to review" list)
-Perelman @ UPenn
-U Vermont
-Rutgers NJMS
-Rutgers RWJ
-Alpert School @ Brown
-Tufts
-U Illinois Chicago
-Miller School @ U Miami
-UPitt
-U Rochester
-Virginia Tech Carilion
-Wash U

I submitted my primary in early July because I didn't realize it would take 7 weeks to process. My secondaries were submitted in late August/ early September.
Please let me know realistically how much of a chance I have at this point in the cycle.

Thank you!
Of you list, the above schools were donations. You especially had no business applying to WashU and U Penn. A number of your schools accept very few OOSers.

Unless you have a strong rising GPA trend, your sGPA is what's hurting you. And you should have had some DO schools on the list. It's not too late and so get some app out to them. And you do not need a DO LOR or shadowing, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.