is there a shortcut for half-life problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

orangeblossom

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I understand the concept, but sometimes I can get bogged down if the given #s are given in scientific notation (like #30 on AAMC 10)

is there some way to set up a ratio or fraction or anything, other than just dividing a large number by 2 until I find the target # in order to figure out how many half-lives have elapsed?

or does everybody just divide by 2 until they figure it out?
 
I understand the concept, but sometimes I can get bogged down if the given #s are given in scientific notation (like #30 on AAMC 10)

is there some way to set up a ratio or fraction or anything, other than just dividing a large number by 2 until I find the target # in order to figure out how many half-lives have elapsed?

or does everybody just divide by 2 until they figure it out?

my one piece of advice: get used to scientific notation. it helps tremendously in the PS section. i can teach it to you very easily

the first number needs to be 1-9. when you figure out the powers, a positive exponent means you move the decimal to the right how ever many spaces the power is, when it is negative you move it to the left however many the power is. all these are powers of 10.

when you multiply or divide, you can take each number separate and do the first numbers, then the powers, or the powers then the numbers (the numbers are the one you use from 1-9)

another thing that will help is know the prefixes for all the different powers. this will tell you what each of the powers of 10 will be.
 
I understand the concept, but sometimes I can get bogged down if the given #s are given in scientific notation (like #30 on AAMC 10)

is there some way to set up a ratio or fraction or anything, other than just dividing a large number by 2 until I find the target # in order to figure out how many half-lives have elapsed?

or does everybody just divide by 2 until they figure it out?

thanks for the advice, but do you have an answer to my question?

Use percentages. That's the shortcut.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
EK literally suggests just counting them on your fingers. I wrote it off at first but tried it out in practice and it actually worked well. Saved a good amount of time too.
 
I didn't take AAMC10 yet, so I'm not sure if this is helpful...

I just divide by 2 and estimate the numbers via sketching a table. If the number falls into a certain range, the answers are typically far apart to justify it as the correct answer.