Is there a way not to take Massachusetts Dental boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine went to DDS school in Cali. Is licensed there and also licensed in Illinois. Now they are moving to Massachusetts, but working for the same DDS company.

Apparentlly Mass requires one to take the Northeast Regional Exam. This person is moving to Massachusetts for just 1 year. Is there a way to get licensed to work there for just one year. Someone was saying if you work for a clinic that only does medicare/caid it's possible.

If you guys can let me know, that would be great! They would HIGHLY appreciate the info.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your easiest path is licensure by credential. Otherwise you can work for one of the community health centers where you do not need a license nor need pass the US board exam.

Your easiest path is licensure by credential. Otherwise you can work for one of the community health centers where you do not need a license nor need pass the US board exam.

Hey daurang

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying that one MUST take this exam to work at a general dental clinic in Mass...even if it's just for one year?

The person is totally legit and has been out of school for 3years. They just would like to practice for a year (because of sign other). I think they are trying to bypass having to study and pay high fee.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey daurang

Thanks for the reply. So you are saying that one MUST take this exam to work at a general dental clinic in Mass...even if it's just for one year?

The person is totally legit and has been out of school for 3years. They just would like to practice for a year (because of sign other). I think they are trying to bypass having to study and pay high fee.

Any suggestions?

The only way to work without a licenses is to either work in a federal facility (prision, etc) or to work at a dental school as a instructor. You cannot work in private practice unless you have been working for 5+ years or take the NERB. If he's only gonna be there for a year it may not be worth to take that exam...

The only way to work without a licenses is to either work in a federal facility (prision, etc) or to work at a dental school as a instructor. You cannot work in private practice unless you have been working for 5+ years or take the NERB. If he's only gonna be there for a year it may not be worth to take that exam...

What about with a "limited license". Could they work at a Private Practice with just that?

What about with a "limited license". Could they work at a Private Practice with just that?

A Limited License allows you to perform all the duties of a dentist but only in a hospital, school, or public clinic under the supervision of a dentist registered in accordance with M.G.L. Chapter 112, Section 45. Practice in a private office is not permitted. Limited Licenses are valid for one (1) year and may be Applied for annually up to five years. To ensure that your application is accepted please provide the following:

Licensing Fee – Personal or business check or money order made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for $90.00. Cash is not accepted. All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

Supervising Dentist – The name of the supervising dentist, his/her license number and signature must be provided on the application.

Photograph - Attach a color passport- size photo (2”x 2”) to application where indicated. See http://travel.state.gov/passport/guide/composition/composition_874.html Not required for re-application.
Official Notification of Graduation - Provide an official transcript or letter from your dental school including date of graduation and degree conferred translated into English. Photocopies not accepted. Not required for re-application.

Massachusetts Ethics and Jurisprudence Exam – The Massachusetts ethics and jurisprudence exam is an open book test on the laws and regulations governing the practice of dentistry in Massachusetts. The dental laws and regulations and the test forms and answer sheet may be obtained by contacting the board via our website www.mass.gov/dph/boards/dn Not required for re-application.

Completed CORI Request Form included in this application.

You don't mention this, but did your friend happen to take the WREB? If so, successful completion of the WREB exam is accepted in the state of Massachusetts according to www.wreb.org. However, I think if you're submitting a WREB score to Massachusetts, you still need to take the Diagnostic Skills Exam portion of NERB.

Last edited:
A friend of mine went to DDS school in Cali. Is licensed there and also licensed in Illinois. Now they are moving to Massachusetts, but working for the same DDS company.

Apparentlly Mass requires one to take the Northeast Regional Exam. This person is moving to Massachusetts for just 1 year. Is there a way to get licensed to work there for just one year. Someone was saying if you work for a clinic that only does medicare/caid it's possible.

If you guys can let me know, that would be great! They would HIGHLY appreciate the info.

thanks

yes there is a way

Call your Massachusetts representatives and tell them to change the law, have universal US dental licensure and eliminate the draconian rules

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9536836#post9536836

You don't mention this, but did your friend happen to take the WREB? If so, successful completion of the WREB exam is accepted in the state of Massachusetts according to www.wreb.org. However, I think if you're submitting a WREB score to Massachusetts, you still need to take the Diagnostic Skills Exam portion of NERB.

Utahdentist is right. I'm going through this right now. I'm in the process of getting signed up to take the DSE right now. I passed the WREB and they will accept it as long as it's accompanied by the DSE. Does anyone know if there is any study material for the DSE or is it one of those exams if you have half a brain in your head and graduated from dental school you should be ok?

Utahdentist is right. I'm going through this right now. I'm in the process of getting signed up to take the DSE right now. I passed the WREB and they will accept it as long as it's accompanied by the DSE. Does anyone know if there is any study material for the DSE or is it one of those exams if you have half a brain in your head and graduated from dental school you should be ok?

You will have to study for it but as far as I can remember, there were almost 50% worth of questions repeated year to year. I'll leave it at that.

You will have to study for it but as far as I can remember, there were almost 50% worth of questions repeated year to year. I'll leave it at that.

Thanks tinman, where can one get their hands on old questions and study material?

thanks

I don't know if this will work but it is worth looking into...

Illinois recognizes the Northeast Regional Exam (NERB) as well as the CREDITS. Maybe, just maybe, an Illinois license is reciprocal with Massachusetts as a result of this fact.