Is there any chance of bouncing back after my first semester of College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confuseddddd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my first semester of college, and I know there have been tons of these threads recently, but I felt the need to put mine up just because my grades this semester have been HORRIBLY low. I'm a computer engineering major at a private university with a good name.
These were my classes and the grades

Calc 1 D
Programming C
Chemistry 1 B
Old Testament B

This gives me a gpa of 2.214

I didn't take this semester seriously, I had taken AP Calc and AP Chem in high school and passed the exams, but I had to redo them for my major and basically I slacked off, and now I don't know if I've ruined my chances at medical school...
What do you suggest I do?
Should I retake Calc?
I will work my butt off these next semsters.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to retake calc because most schools require at least a C in all pre-reqs.

First of all take a breath, you are not the first premed to botch his/her first semester. You will need to retake the D first of all. You can definetly recover from this semester. It will take work, and you might want to rethink your study plans, but by no means have you shot your chance at becoming a doctor.