Is there any state that gives prescriptive authority to Pharmacy Interns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadPharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that pharmacists can prescribe in 35+ states. Is there any state that allows interns to prescribe?

Members don't see this ad.

uhmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
I'm currently lobbying to allow pharmacy interns to act as a primary healthcare provider.

In California interns are allowed to prescribe under the supervision of a certified pharmacy technician, but can only write for C2's with a second tech present (this process is referred to as "tech-check-tech.")

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interns are not independent. To my knowledge in no state can an intern practice unsupervised by a licensed pharmacist. It would be absurd to allow one to prescribe anything.

Dear God, I hope not.

Being an intern requires writing Chapman University a $70k check and nothing else. Why would that person be qualified to prescribe?

Reactions: 1 users
Dear God, I hope not.

Being an intern requires writing Chapman University a $70k check and nothing else. Why would that person be qualified to prescribe?
LOL!

it worries me that you ask this question, along with your username being "sadpharma"

Pharmacists can prescribe in 35+ states? This is news to me. Only thing I can think of is birth control in like 1 state.

Reactions: 1 user
Pharmacists can prescribe in 35+ states? This is news to me. Only thing I can think of is birth control in like 1 state.

I can prescribe flu shots

Reactions: 3 users
I can prescribe flu shots

I can give them under a protocol but I don't consider that prescriptive authority. Maybe in your state you can literally prescribe them without a standing order? Idk

I can give them under a protocol but I don't consider that prescriptive authority. Maybe in your state you can literally prescribe them without a standing order? Idk

twas a joke dude

Reactions: 2 users
We have standing orders here for immunizations, birth control, and naloxone. Some facilities may have additional ones like standing orders for pharmacist managed anticoag, etc. Although in most states you can enter into a CPA and prescribe like an NP/PA. It's not common though outside the VA system because insurers don't reimburse for it though (I only know a handful of non-VA pharmacists that do this and most are in academia/charity).

I don't know why anyone would want interns prescribing, MD students aren't even allowed to prescribe.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I heard of a bill that would allow pharmacists to independently initiate, modify, and terminate therapy but not prescribe. Please tell me how this is different? Apparently pharmacists will be running the minute clinics in the future if this goes through... or rather running the minute clinic in addition to everything else lol. This is obviously specific to a single state.

I personally am fine with it, pharmacist is perfectly capable and in fact would probably do a better job at detecting patients who need referred. Some of these NPs are total idiots... but that's just based on my anecdotal evidence. The problem is that, as with flu shots, workload increases, staffing remains the same, and compensation stays the same. What would happen is that for stores with minute clinics they would probably keep a NP since they are paid less and in stores without a minute clinic the staff pharmacist would have prescribing "integrated" into workflow... in other words they would be dragged to consultation every 10 minutes for some lady wanting a zpak for her cold. Now I'm probably just talking to myself and this is way off topic lol

Last edited:
Sure sure... When I was a student I was allowed to do a series of duties including amputations, general surgery, and tooth extraction. Unfortunately, those privileges were taken away when i got licensed... darn it.. now all i am allowed to do is count by five and an occasional flu shot..

Interns are not independent. To my knowledge in no state can an intern practice unsupervised by a licensed pharmacist. It would be absurd to allow one to prescribe anything.

I am not talking about being independent or unsupervised. I am talking about a P4 under supervision and under a protocol. It is my understanding that med school students can prescribe on day 1 under supervision. I get scripts all the time written by med school students using the hospital NPI.

I find it a little bit concerning that people think this is a joke. A P4 typically has had more education than a PA or a NP and 3/4 of med school students.

If one is a pharmacy student, they can wait until graduation and licensure before looking into places that allow pharmacists to prescribe.

Who's going to be responsible if things go wrong from a student prescribing? Will the student know the patient's entire medical information before prescribing? Will the practice be at retail or hospital?

I am not talking about being independent or unsupervised. I am talking about a P4 under supervision and under a protocol. It is my understanding that med school students can prescribe on day 1 under supervision. I get scripts all the time written by med school students using the hospital NPI.

I find it a little bit concerning that people think this is a joke. A P4 typically has had more education than a PA or a NP and 3/4 of med school students.

I've never heard of med students being able to do that, and I've rotated with several. I have also never been in an institution that credentialed students to allow them to put in orders without their supervisor having to sign off on it (meaning the preceptor is essentially prescribing it). Residents can do that day 1, but to my knowledge a student cannot furnish a prescription and they aren't able to enter into a CPA like other licensed professionals can. No institution I've been in has allowed students of any kind to put in orders and to my knowledge that's not even legal.

When I was a P4 I was able to document in the EMR and was able to modify orders, however before anything went through my preceptor had to sign off on it. Too much liability in my opinion to allow students, who do not have pharmacists licenses and technically do not have a degree yet, to work under an approved protocol to put in orders for things if it's legal in a state for a pharmacist to do so. Some states my register interns, but they lack a pharmacist license which entails accountability and liability for actions conducted.

Last edited:
No student pharmacy or medicine can write a script without someone signing off on it.

Are you talking about calling in prescriptions? Because janitors can do that.

But that is definitely not prescriptive authority. That's why everyone is looking at you like you have three heads.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Is there any state with any law that differentiates P4's from other interns?

I've never experienced/heard anything about a medical student being able to prescribe any type of substance, controlled or otherwise. Which state/area /school are you from?

They cannot prescribe...and no...you cannot bill a hospital/facility NPI to insurance plans as a pharmacy. They may be given the preceptor or attending's prescription blanks where they may write under someone else's authority with that person's approval. They themselves do not have prescriptive authority.

Wow! I am a M3 and I did not know that I could prescribe from day 1. I have written only one prescription so far and the attending doc had to co-sign it.

Not sure a P4 has more education than a finishing 3rd or a 4th year med student, or a PA grad for that matter. NP is a different story since a potted plant can become a NP.

someone delete this thread to save ourselves from further embarrassment

Reactions: 1 users
I don't see why a student or anyone really would be so "driven" to want to prescribe unless it was for ego or ulterior purposes (script mill). Technically as a student you're there to be educated while helping patients. You're not primarily there to help patients and you're not entrusted by the boards or the laws to independently carry out patient care duties. Being able to prescribe goes against what a student's purpose is in my opinion anyway. Boards are not (or should not be) clubs for professionals to hand each other licenses and kudos, they exist to protect the public and serve public interest. The board of pharmacy or board of medicine is not there to be for those professionals, it's to ensure that those professionals are acting within the best interest of their patients and following the laws of their jurisdictions. From a legal and ethical standpoint student prescribing in all cases just bodes ill with me. Makes no sense.