Is there any such job as being a non-invasive neurosurgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booski

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question but I like the job of a neurosurgeon (besides the surgery part which is a huge part of it) so I was wondering if there was a non-invasive or minimally invasive form of this practice. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Neurointerventional? A lot of neurointerventional procedures are done by neurosurgery these days, I think.

This is probably a stupid question but I like the job of a neurosurgeon (besides the surgery part which is a huge part of it) so I was wondering if there was a non-invasive or minimally invasive form of this practice. Thanks

I like the job of a neurosurgeon besides the surgery part !!! What do you mean???

Members don't see this ad :)
What part of being a neurosurgeon do you like exactly?

Neurointerventional? A lot of neurointerventional procedures are done by neurosurgery these days, I think.
Just did some research and came up with neurointerventional radiology. This seems to be pretty much what I was looking for but now I have another question. Would I have to go to med school for the same amount of time as if I were going to be performing surgery?

Med school is 4 years no matter what you specialize in.
Neurosurgery is 7 years of residency.
Neurointerventional radiology is 6 years of residency/fellowship.

Med school is 4 years no matter what you specialize in.
Neurosurgery is 7 years of residency.
Neurointerventional radiology is 6 years of residency/fellowship.
Ok so judging by this to become a Neurointerventional radiologists it would take me 10 years of schooling. How much would this cost? I know it varies between schools but on average how much would it cost to go for four years of medical school + 6 years of residency/fellowship not including oppurtunity costs.

Either will cost you your life. It's up to you if you consider it a good deal.

Ok so judging by this to become a Neurointerventional radiologists it would take me 10 years of schooling. How much would this cost? I know it varies between schools but on average how much would it cost to go for four years of medical school + 6 years of residency/fellowship not including oppurtunity costs.
Not including opportunity cost, assume $40-50k a year plus living expenses for the four years of med school. You don't pay for residency, you get a salary of around $50k pre-tax. It's not really enough to start repaying much on your loans though, so they'll balloon with interest during your residency years.

Not including opportunity cost, assume $40-50k a year plus living expenses for the four years of med school. You don't pay for residency, you get a salary of around $50k pre-tax. It's not really enough to start repaying much on your loans though, so they'll balloon with interest during your residency years.
Ok lets say interest makes it 60k a year. 60k * 4 = 240,000 in student loan debt! That hurts. However the salary/yr I think, correct me if I'm wrong, for a neurointerventional radiologist can be 400k+. For the first year if I only make 335,000 that's 335,000 - 240,000 = 95,000. Does this mean I would be able to pay off all my loans during the first year and still have 95,000 leftover?

Taxes will eat away a huge portion of your income. A $335,000 salary puts you in the 33-35% marginal tax bracket (depending on if you are married, pretax deductions, etc.). In other words, your take home pay for that year will be more like $250,000. In reality, most financially literate physicians pay off their loans in 2-4 years.

Taxes will eat away a huge portion of your income. A $335,000 salary puts you in the 33-35% marginal tax bracket (depending on if you are married, pretax deductions, etc.). In other words, your take home pay for that year will be more like $250,000. In reality, most financially literate physicians pay off their loans in 2-4 years.
Oh ok that makes sense. So I wouldn't be done with and debt free from school until at least 12 years? 4 years of med + 6 years of residency + >=2 years of debt = years of schooling + debt payoff>=12

Oh ok that makes sense. So I wouldn't be done with and debt free from school until at least 12 years? 4 years of med + 6 years of residency + >=2 years of debt = years of schooling + debt payoff>=12
Don't forget to add in college too.

4 years college + 4 years med school + 6 years residency + 10 years debt repayment is what most people are looking at.

If you go to a cheap med school, go into a lucrative subspecialty, and have some SERIOUS self-discipline and financial acumen, you could pay your loans off in just a couple years after finishing residency though.

Don't forget to add in college too.

4 years college + 4 years med school + 6 years residency + 10 years debt repayment is what most people are looking at.

If you go to a cheap med school, go into a lucrative subspecialty, and have some SERIOUS self-discipline and financial acumen, you could pay your loans off in just a couple years after finishing residency though.
Wow your right I completely forgot about adding college in there haha. One question though if you can finish paying off your debts " in just a couple years after finishing residency though" why does it take some people "+ 10 years debt repayment"?
Is it just because most people don't have that much self-discipline?

Wow your right I completely forgot about adding college in there haha. One question though if you can finish paying off your debts " in just a couple years after finishing residency though" why does it take some people "+ 10 years debt repayment"?
Is it just because most people don't have that much self-discipline?

10 year is the default repayment plan. It's not necessarily that people lack self-discipline, it's just that by that point in many people's lives, they have a lot more expenses: childcare, mortgages, etc. That can make anything more than the 10-year $2000-4000 monthly payments untenable.

10 year is the default repayment plan. It's not necessarily that people lack self-discipline, it's just that by that point in many people's lives, they have a lot more expenses: childcare, mortgages, etc. That can make anything more than the 10-year $2000-4000 monthly payments untenable.
Oh ok that makes sense. I didn't add all those other factors into the equation. Thank you so much for all of your help I really appreciate it.