Is there any way around this regret?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Buy a plane ticket to Europe, get a eurail ticket, and go! You don't need a formal study abroad program to go abroad!

Reactions: 13 users
Buy a plane ticket to Europe, get a eurail ticket, and go! You don't need a formal study abroad program to go abroad!
Agree 100%. You can travel on your own across Europe, staying at hostels as you go.

Is there a specific reason you wanted to study abroad vs traveling as a vacation?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Agree 100%. You can travel on your own across Europe, staying at hostels as you go.

Is there a specific reason you wanted to study abroad vs traveling as a vacation?

But I guess I can't actually study there right? Or do an internship of some kind? I can't find any that would take recent grads :/

I'd love to just travel, but I feel like med schools would consider this to be a negative point in my app, since I wasn't being productive abroad…and especially since it's during my gap year.

But I guess I can't actually study there right? Or do an internship of some kind? I can't find any that would take recent grads :/

I'd love to just travel, but I feel like med schools would consider this to be a negative point in my app, since I wasn't being productive abroad…and especially since it's during my gap year.

I don't think traveling would be considered a negative. Obviously it won't add much, if anything, to your app, but I still think it'd be a good experience. Go abroad because you want to go abroad, not because you're trying to impress med schools.
Maybe you could spend the summer abroad and then do something else for the rest of your gap year?

Also, classes are never the highlight of a study abroad. What I'm going to remember the most about my semester abroad is seeing new places and meeting new people, not sitting in a classroom learning medical Spanish.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think traveling would be considered a negative. Obviously it won't add much, if anything, to your app, but I still think it'd be a good experience. Go abroad because you want to go abroad, not because you're trying to impress med schools.
Maybe you could spend the summer abroad and then do something else for the rest of your gap year?

Yes, I wanted to spend the summer abroad…the rest of my gap year, I need to get more clinical experience and earn money for med school. Yeah, I guess it won't add anything to my app :( Did you feel that a formal study abroad added a lot to your app?

Also, classes are never the highlight of a study abroad. What I'm going to remember the most about my semester abroad is seeing new places and meeting new people, not sitting in a classroom learning medical Spanish.

Hmm…but did you meet any new people outside the classroom? I thought the easiest way to meet others and enjoy the country with them is if you take classes with them.

Yes, I wanted to spend the summer abroad…the rest of my gap year, I need to get more clinical experience and earn money for med school. Yeah, I guess it won't add anything to my app :( Did you feel that a formal study abroad added a lot to your app?

Well given that I'm a Spanish major, I kind of centered my app around that and my study abroad experience in Chile. I don't know how much it actually helped me, though.

Hmm…but did you meet any new people outside the classroom? I thought the easiest way to meet others and enjoy the country with them is if you take classes with them.

No not really! I mean most people don't make friends with people in their classes at their US universities. I met people through my host family and by signing up for guided tours in Spanish (not English, otherwise you end up with a bunch of gringos lol) when I traveled
Also, I just thought of this but couldn't you enroll independently at a university? You basically just apply to the University without going through a study abroad program.

Well given that I'm a Spanish major, I kind of centered my app around that and my study abroad experience in Chile. I don't know how much it actually helped me, though.

Okay, yeah that makes sense. You were able to tie your experience well with your med school apps. Did you get asked about study abroad a lot in your interviews? Or at all?

No not really! I mean most people don't make friends with people in their classes at their US universities. I met people through my host family and by signing up for guided tours in Spanish (not English, otherwise you end up with a bunch of gringos lol) when I traveled
Also, I just thought of this but couldn't you enroll independently at a university? You basically just apply to the University without going through a study abroad program.

Lol okay that's great! I guess I could still do some university things (participate in clubs and events) if I really wanted to and meet people that way. What you do mean "enroll independently?" How does that work? I've never heard of it…

Also do you mean apply to the study abroad university? or my undergrad uni?

Lol okay that's great! I guess I could still do some university things (participate in clubs and events) if I really wanted to and meet people that way. What you do mean "enroll independently?" How does that work? I've never heard of it…

Also do you mean apply to the study abroad university? or my undergrad uni?

I think it's called direct enrollment. I know you could do it through the study abroad program I used (IES) but it's possible you could do it without going through a study abroad program. You just apply to the study abroad university as if you were a normal student, rather than signing up for a study abroad program.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I got asked about my study abroad extensively in all three interviews I've had so far.

Don't underestimate a good story of traveling abroad for interviews. Seriously, my friend flew back from abroad for a late dental school interview and said the interviewers couldn't stop asking him questions about it. He was average and boring before but flying in from half across the globe to attend the interview made him memorable possibly just enough to get the acceptance. This wasn't Europe it was a bit more exotic so it made a great story. My advice is graduate early, study for the MCAT and buy a plane ticket for like the week after the MCAT. Nothing is worse that putting your life on hold waiting for a phone call or email. You could do everything but the interview from abroad. So when you get an interview, book the flight back!

"Study Abroad" or "Travel Abroad" -- sorry, but they're pretty much the same thing. You go for the "abroad" part

Don't underestimate a good story of traveling abroad for interviews. Seriously, my friend flew back from abroad for a late dental school interview and said the interviewers couldn't stop asking him questions about it. He was average and boring before but flying in from half across the globe to attend the interview made him memorable possibly just enough to get the acceptance. This wasn't Europe it was a bit more exotic so it made a great story. My advice is graduate early, study for the MCAT and buy a plane ticket for like the week after the MCAT. Nothing is worse that putting your life on hold waiting for a phone call or email. You could do everything but the interview from abroad. So when you get an interview, book the flight back!

Lol. It will never cease to amaze me how unpredictable and silly the "oooh ooooh unique applicant" sparkle is.

Tangentially related question - for those of us who have done a study abroad year, should we put that as one of our 15 experiences on the AMCAS? I had done one volunteering while in school abroad and was going to put that on my app but should I include my whole year abroad as part of the experience?

Tangentially related question - for those of us who have done a study abroad year, should we put that as one of our 15 experiences on the AMCAS? I had done one volunteering while in school abroad and was going to put that on my app but should I include my whole year abroad as part of the experience?

I listed my study abroad as a separate experience from the shadowing I did abroad.

I listed my study abroad as a separate experience from the shadowing I did abroad.

Hmm, okay thanks! Trying to figure out what to put for my 15, it's kind of hard as a non-trad.

Just my 2 cents but I agree that the actual studying part was the least interesting or significant part of my study abroad experience. In fact, my school's policy was that all classes taken abroad were pass/fail--so even doing well in my classes had no effect. Going abroad or not isn't going to affect your application in any way, positively or negatively. Do it, if you want to, and make plans to boost your EC's when you get back. But I would make sure that you prioritize EC's to some extent, if your app is lacking. Traveling abroad is awesome so hopefully you can find a way to do both!

Post-bac is undergraduate. Did they say specifically it was for those without a bachelor's/working toward a master's or Ph.D.? Also, I have to agree with others here. You don't need a study abroad to enjoy seeing new things. Just get a plane ticket if you can afford it and go have fun.

Are you able to apply to programs on your own? Because since you already graduated, it shouldn't matter to you whether or not the credits will transfer back to your institution.

Eurail is overpriced nowadays. You're better off saving time and money using an app like Skyscanner- I saved hundreds by flying instead of buying a Eurail pass.

Eurail is overpriced nowadays. You're better off saving time and money using an app like Skyscanner- I saved hundreds by flying instead of buying a Eurail pass.

Yeah sorry I actually don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Europe Haha only been to Spain, Portugal and Ireland and never traveled between countries. Good to know though!

Yeah sorry I actually don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Europe Haha only been to Spain, Portugal and Ireland and never traveled between countries. Good to know though!
Just trying to provide a helpful tip- I quickly learned from other travelers just how much of a waste it was to take the train. It really depends on how many countries you are hitting though. I tend to spend a week or two in a given country. If you are planning on hitting a country every two to three days, the Eurail pass makes more sense. It's really something you should take on a case-by-case basis.

Just trying to provide a helpful tip- I quickly learned from other travelers just how much of a waste it was to take the train. It really depends on how many countries you are hitting though. I tend to spend a week or two in a given country. If you are planning on hitting a country every two to three days, the Eurail pass makes more sense. It's really something you should take on a case-by-case basis.

I'll have to remember this for when I do my backpacking trip thru Europe which, at this point, looks like it won't be happening until I retire hahaha

You still have time! I'm starting med school summer/fall of 2016 and I'm planning my solo backpacking trip across Asia and Europe as we speak! I'm going to be gone for 4 months, and I'm sure you can do something similar! After med school we won't have much time, so just go for it!

I know that feel bro. Won't have another decent vacation until I'm way too old to hostel.

Yeah it's depressing :( I have two lists of places I want to go, one for when I'm young and actually want to do active stuff (Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, South America, Thailand) and one for when I'm old and just want to site see (Western Europe, basically).
I'm getting really pissed at my family right now because they keep saying that we are going to take a family vacation this summer but they refuse to make actual plans. I need them to make up their mind if we're going somewhere or not, because if we're not going on a family trip then I am definitely going on a solo trip and I need to start planning. If one of my presents tomorrow isn't an envelope containing a trip itinerary, then I'm sitting my mom down on the 26th and demanding that she make up her mind. :p

Yeah it's depressing :( I have two lists of places I want to go, one for when I'm young and actually want to do active stuff (Australia, New Zealand, Iceland, South America, Thailand) and one for when I'm old and just want to site see (Western Europe, basically).
I'm getting really pissed at my family right now because they keep saying that we are going to take a family vacation this summer but they refuse to make actual plans. I need them to make up their mind if we're going somewhere or not, because if we're not going on a family trip then I am definitely going on a solo trip and I need to start planning. If one of my presents tomorrow isn't an envelope containing a trip itinerary, then I'm sitting my mom down on the 26th and demanding that she make up her mind. :p
Do it while you can, I'm tellin' ya.

Do it while you can, I'm tellin' ya.

I agree! My parents, unfortunately, do not. Seeing as my mom thought med school was 2 years long until very recently, I don't think they really understand how long this process is. Whenever I say I'm not going to have the chance to take a vacation for a while, they scoff at me. Sigh. Parents.

I agree! My parents, unfortunately, do not. Seeing as my mom thought med school was 2 years long until very recently, I don't think they really understand how long this process is. Whenever I say I'm not going to have the chance to take a vacation for a while, they scoff at me. Sigh. Parents.
Not to be negative about your parents, but at this age, you have to do what is right for you. You really don't need their permission. It doesn't seem like they are on the same page with you on understanding what you want to do. Even after you are done with medical school, you have internship and residency. But by then, you'll be much older and the experiences you have are also going to be different. I went to Thailand last year solo and had the time of my life. Would I want to party until sunrise on the islands of Thailand when I'm 30+ and sleeping in hostels with 12 people? Maybe..but probably not. Right now, take advantage of your youth and just go. If your parents see that you truly want this and understand that this will make you happy, then I don't see them preventing you from doing it (they might be a little unhappy). Right now it seems like you just don't want to disappoint them, but trust me, you will regret it for the rest of your life and always wonder "what if..." and that would suck. For me, even if I don't have the money or if no one is willing to help me pay, I'd take out a loan and just go. If your going somewhere like south east asia, it is cheap. You can go for 2 months on 5k no problem. If you are already accepted into medical school, after you graduate would you care if your loan is 300k or 305k? There isn't a big difference. But would you always remember those awesome 2 months spent? HELL YEA!

Not to be negative about your parents, but at this age, you have to do what is right for you. You really don't need their permission. It doesn't seem like they are on the same page with you on understanding what you want to do. Even after you are done with medical school, you have internship and residency. But by then, you'll be much older and the experiences you have are also going to be different. I went to Thailand last year solo and had the time of my life. Would I want to party until sunrise on the islands of Thailand when I'm 30+ and sleeping in hostels with 12 people? Maybe..but probably not. Right now, take advantage of your youth and just go. If your parents see that you truly want this and understand that this will make you happy, then I don't see them preventing you from doing it (they might be a little unhappy). Right now it seems like you just don't want to disappoint them, but trust me, you will regret it for the rest of your life and always wonder "what if..." and that would suck. For me, even if I don't have the money or if no one is willing to help me pay, I'd take out a loan and just go. If your going somewhere like south east asia, it is cheap. You can go for 2 months on 5k no problem. If you are already accepted into medical school, after you graduate would you care if your loan is 300k or 305k? There isn't a big difference. But would you always remember those awesome 2 months spent? HELL YEA!

Well I'm going somewhere whether they want to come with me or not. The issue is that even though a solo trip would be fun, I'd prefer to go somewhere with my family. I just need them to make up their mind and start planning a trip. They travel a lot so I'm not sure why it's taking them so long this time. Maybe I just feel rushed since I'm on a time limit, idk.

As for the loan thing. I thought that you couldn't get loans until the beginning of your first semester. If I were to go abroad this summer, how could I get a loan to finance that? I'm assuming banks don't usually give out loans to 21 year olds who want to go on vacation.

Well I'm going somewhere whether they want to come with me or not. The issue is that even though a solo trip would be fun, I'd prefer to go somewhere with my family. I just need them to make up their mind and start planning a trip. They travel a lot so I'm not sure why it's taking them so long this time. Maybe I just feel rushed since I'm on a time limit, idk.

As for the loan thing. I thought that you couldn't get loans until the beginning of your first semester. If I were to go abroad this summer, how could I get a loan to finance that? I'm assuming banks don't usually give out loans to 21 year olds who want to go on vacation.
I'm not sure about the exact process of getting a loan. I am traveling on money that I have saved up. But I'm sure you can say that it is for things that you'll need to prepare for med school before the loans kick in. This wouldn't be a complete lie, and you can spend the extra on a laptop, apartment, and other things you'll need before med school. I've known people who had to take out loans to pay for the applications/secondaries/interviews etc, and I'm sure if you really do need a loan that you can get it.

Fwiw, there are often opportunities in med school and residency to go on exchange and relief trips to other countries, although it's not exactly five star accommodations. I know lots of people who have gone to Africa, Haiti and other natural disaster sites for a few weeks to help provide relief efforts. And certainly after you are a doctor if you do research/academics you'll have plenty of international meetings you can attend and present at. And of course vacations are always possible. So it's unclear what you missed that you can't replicate in s more fulfilling or fun way down the road. Always look at the opportunities ahead, not focus on the regrets behind.

I'm not sure about the exact process of getting a loan. I am traveling on money that I have saved up. But I'm sure you can say that it is for things that you'll need to prepare for med school before the loans kick in. This wouldn't be a complete lie, and you can spend the extra on a laptop, apartment, and other things you'll need before med school. I've known people who had to take out loans to pay for the applications/secondaries/interviews etc, and I'm sure if you really do need a loan that you can get it.

I'll have to look into this. Thanks!