Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Is there any way into this field...?

Discussion in 'Plastic Surgery' started by Wings4Marie, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Wings4Marie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm a second year and know little about residencies...

But my question is, if I can get into a general surgery program and work for 5 or more years, build connections etc.

Is it going to be a big problem getting a fellowship in plastics?

I would appreciate any reply. THanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At this point, the field is wide open to you.

Yes, its one of the most competitive residencies out there (for both Integrated and Independent) but obviously every year people match.

Its a small field, so connections are vital. Work with the department at your school; see if you can do some research now. Consider doing some away electives during your 4th year. Get good grades, USMLE scores, LORs. If you have a chance to do surgical electives during 3rd year see if you can score one on PRS and then again during 4th year.

There is no secret to matching in PRS (except perhaps to be an American grad...which really isn't a secret); same things need to be done as for any competitive specialty.

Good to start thinking about it now.

3. OP
    OP
    Wings4Marie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Kimberli,

Thank you for your response. See that's the kicker. I go to Ross University, the first 2 years are in the Carribbean but that's it. Clinicals are in the US, so it's not completely foreign.

I figure not to let it bring me down. I think I was born to do this and I'm just going to do whatever it takes and work as hard as possible :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, unfortunately, that is going to make things difficult for you. It is somewhat easier to get into PRS as foreign trained if you are a foreign national trained in their home country. There is still a bias against Americans trained outside of the US.

But as you said, you want to do this and you must try or you will always regret not doing so. Thus it is especially important that you do much better on the USMLEs, see if you can do some research, attend conferneces where you can schmooze with PRS types and of course, try and do your 3rd and 4th year clinicals at places with strong PRS departments. 4th year electives early in the year are also a must.

5. OP
    OP
    Wings4Marie

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your replies to my questions, and I plan to do everything you just said!

6. naegleria brain

2+ Year Member

and don't forget that even if u don't succeed, getting into a decent general surgery program (which i think is very doable for you) still lands you a chance of getting a plastics fellowship; furthermore by that point, your med school and boards i'd imagine would play less of a role after five years of surgical residency training, meaning u start on a playing field level with all other plastic-fellowship hopefuls

if this is what you truly want to do - don't forget that option too! It'll be a year or two longer, but 30 yrs from now those two won't mean much if you're doing what you love

incidentally, i'm kind of pondering nsg vs. plastics. what drives you towards plastics?